Thursday, March 03, 2011

4-Hour Body

Miles bought a book near the first of the year called The 4-Hour Body. It's by Tim Ferriss who also wrote The 4-Hour Work Week. Miles read through it and said that I should read it and we should start the slow-carb diet he describes in the book. I read through the parts that pertained to the diet. I liked a lot of his philosophies on losing weight, dieting, and health. He comes from a very scientific standpoint and it just seems to make sense. So we decided to start a couple weeks ago. Let me just say, I am struggling. It focuses on eating a lot of protein, legumes and vegetables. It's really not so bad and I feel like I would often eat similar meals. The hard part, however, is the things you have to avoid (bread, milk, cheese, pasta, rice, flour, potatoes, fruit, and sweets). I often find myself craving carbs. Sometimes sweets, but mostly things like a bowl of cereal or a piece of bread. I told Miles I'm not sure I can keep up with it. I'm getting bored of eating the same things over and over. We've tried to "spice" things up a bit by making garlic mashed faux-tatoes (mashed garbonzo beans) and rice-aflower (a rice substitute made out of cauliflower). But eating eggs every morning and chicken for dinner every night is just getting old. I think Miles wants to stick with it. He's already lost 10 lbs. (I'm down 5 lbs.) So I'll support him by eating what he eats for dinner, but I think I'll take my bowl of cereal and pb&j for lunch. :P Yes...I'm a pansy and couldn't hack it.

7 comments:

Jenna said...

My mother-in-law did a similar diet to lose a lot of weight. I just don't think it's realistic. I have found that the best things for losing weight are eating at least 50% raw fruits and veggies, whole grain, and no high fructose corn syrup. Otherwise, you can eat whatever you want.

I read Michael Pollan's book "In Defense of Food" and it completely changed my outlook on food. He emphasizes to eat food -- not food-like substances, but the things our great-grandparents ate -- mostly plants, and not too much. Such a simple philosophy. Since I have started living that way, I am the thinnest I have ever been! I have tons of energy, I am finally "regular" (sorry, TMI) and my skin is so clear. I feel like this philosophy is really in line with the Word of Wisdom and it just makes sense.

Laura Horne said...

Funny we were just talking about dieting this morning! Sorry that it's been a little rough.

Lydia said...

Nate is doing the Paleo or Caveman Diet. Basically anything he would be able to "hunt and gather" and it has been one of my favorites. For the most part it all minimally processed foods. I am actually really loving it because there is so much variety even without the grains/starches. (I still eat whole grains but Nate doesn't.) He is also really good about always giving himself a cheat day. He is still sensible about it, but on Saturdays he eats cookies or we will grab Mexican food. If you are interested in it you should call him. He knows way more about it than I do.

Abby Wright said...

Yup I lasted two weeks and did loose 14lbs but the diet was hell! On my free day I would get so sick eating so much crap! But I came up with some really good recepies if you are looking for some. Good job Miles its a tough diet but great for you!

Jean said...

Hey, great job!!! Tim and I did Body for Life one time for... oh... 20 hours maybe? Hahaha! We just ran out of different proteins that we could eat multiple times a day (we were really just eating a whole lot of cottage cheese). And I distinctly remember craving brownies fiercely. LOL! (I'm not really one for successful dieting.)

Nate said...

Still need to read this book. It's on my list (I think Miles was the first to mention it to me). As Lydia said, I have been doing the Paleolithic (Caveman) diet. Pretty much the same as this, minus legumes. As of today, I have lost 22.5 lbs (a total of 11% of my body weight). But I'm also killing it in the gym. All in all, I love the diet (better term: life style and eating habits). Have 1 cheat day a week. And even if you get sick of the same food, research shows the most successful dieters learn to mix and match the same meals regularly. Plus, it makes prep so much easier. Stick with it!!!

Rachael said...

man, all you need is the word of wisdom. I don't trust any diet that excludes fruit. Since when does whole wheat bread, bananas, apples, and blueberries become evil food.
Losing weight is good, but think of a lifetime of deprivation? Ask Miles if it is worth the bikini body?