Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Pink Eye

The Saturday after I got back from California, Owen woke up with his eyes crusted shut. I knew it was pink eye. I called the doctor to find out what I should do about it. She said that it's most often viral and would likely go away on its own and to come in if it hadn't gotten better within a few days. I called in a couple of times but the nurses always said to give it another day. During this time it was improving, but not nearly fast enough for me. Unfortunately the nasty stuff lasted almost two weeks. It was pretty much gone after a week, but he still had small crusties in the morning the following week. It was nasty stuff. I felt so bad for him. His poor little eyes were so red, dry and sensitive. Sometimes his eyelids would bleed a little when I wiped the crusties off with a cloth. :( One funny/pathetically sad thing was the second morning I walked in, Owen was standing up in his crib, holding onto the railing in the corner of his crib, facing the wall. He was crying at the wall because his eyes were crusted shut and he didn't know that he was crying in the wrong direction, opposite of the door. I felt so bad for him.

Here are some pictures of the progression of his sad little eyes.

Trying to keep a smile on his face:


Big, red circles around his eyes. Owen got a bath every day that week to make sure his eyes were nice and clean before bedtime.
The one "good" thing about it was that I got some extra snuggles:


Looking pretty goopy, red, and raw:Almost better:
It was a long, rough road. I couldn't wait to have my clear-eyed baby back. It was also hard because I had to try and be super sanitary by washing my hands all the time and making sure he didn't touch my face with his hands. This was not an easy task. And I don't know how I did it, but I never got it from him. I also didn't like that we were basically quarantined to the house because I was trying to be a courteous Mom and not "spread the love" and germs around town, at church, or to my friends and their kids. Boy am I glad that is over and I hope it never comes back!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Those pictures made my eyes water. Pink eye is the worst. I told someone about the story of him facing the wall in his crib cause he couldn't see and they were so sad for him!