Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Present

My father-in-law just posted this great article on Facebook. It's called, "How to Miss a Childhood." It basically talks about how this generation of parents has become so attached to their devices and electronics, that they are missing out on the precious moments of their children's lives. I've actually been thinking about these same things for a while, but it just put my thoughts (and more) in words I hadn't expressed. I feel like lately I spend so much time looking for contact with the "outside world" on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Blogs, etc. This happened to me after I had Owen as well. A new baby comes with a lot of time sitting and nursing, and being "stuck" at home. Sadly, this also equates to my phone being in my hand or at my side nearly 24/7. My friend, Shara, recently decided to do a FB fast. I teasingly made fun of her, but really had been thinking of doing the same thing. Prior to reading this article, I had considered it for different reasons:
- It feels like a waste of time
- I don't like feeling attached to checking statuses, comments, and likes
- I dislike the negativity (complaints, debates, harsh opinions against others)

But I kept telling myself that it was "important" to stay on to:
- Stay connected with long, lost friends and family members
- Make sure family has easy access to my blog
- Provide updates and pictures from our lives for family and friends
- Have up-to-date information of the world around me (I often find out major news happenings from posted articles, etc.)

And then I read this article. Which truly voiced the most important reason to leave it all behind. My children.

Yes, I have hours and hours with my kids every day being a stay-at-home-mom. Yes, I read books, play outside, do puzzles, smile and coo, make meals, wipe tears, rock and cradle, sing songs, chase, do piggy-back rides, snuggle, and love on my children every day. But in between all of that, I find myself distracted. Sadly, her words remind me of the moments when Owen says, "Put the phone down, Mommy!" or when my sweet Elsie looks up from eating to smile at me and it goes unnoticed. And lately, I've felt exhausted and overwhelmed. I don't have a lot of free time to get things done or have "me-time." (I am currently typing this as I nurse my baby and the toddler naps jumps in his crib.) And a lot of days honestly feel unfulfilled. But how much more fulfilled would my days be if they were wholly focused on uninterrupted, dedicated, attentive time? How much more fulfilled would I be? How much more fulfilled would my children be?

So it's time. I'm saying adieu to social network sites. I'm going to spend more time being present with my children, and less time being distracted by the computer/phone. I, of course, want to stay connected with people, and I know that won't happen for everyone. But if you want to reach me, I'll still have a phone and email (they just won't be checked as often) and I'm going to try to stay more up-to-date on my blog (our family history/journal that is much more worthy of my time).

I don't think this will be easy, nor do I think that all days will be blissful. However, I know that it will be an improvement to my and my family's lives. And that's all that really matters.

5 comments:

Jo Anne said...

Thanks for posting this. I just got an iPhone a few months ago... Before I had a throw away Walmart phone. I find myself having to check email constantly and Facebook and play games just because I can! I have thought about everything you have thought about and I'm glad you have chosen to be in the present and really live your life. I am hoping to have the courage to break up with Facebook too! Here's to living!!

Christy Gunnell said...

You're a good woman Kendra! I support you. I will miss the cute pics of the kiddos, so you best stay up-to-date on here!

Sharalea said...

Awesome, awesome AWESOME! I loved this. Thank you, Kendra for being so inspiring. REALLY!

I felt it a difficult choice for all the same reasons...but in the end an easy choice for the most important ones.

So are you deactivating your account or deleting it?

Megan Potter said...

Good for you! I agree it is a distraction and I think everyone in general has way too much 'screen time' these days. I think our screen time should be deliberate and scheduled, not due to boredom. And because we don't have TV, FB for me is one way I stay up to date on news believe it or not:) But good for you, you will have withdrawls, but it will be good and I'm sure you will notice a huge difference in your life. I also am a big supporter of good quality, real, human, face to face time and less 'cyber' relations. So I hope your life improves in that area too:) GOod luck, I will miss you, but I'll be better about reading your blog:) Maybe I'll be better about posting on mine too:)
Chao for now!

Rachel said...

Love love love this. I totally salute you. I'm all about breaking away from technology. I one time convinced my parents to get rid of TV for two years back when I was in middle school. Danny and I haven't had TV since we were married and I love it. I've done the Facebook fast before, too. I've even done blog fasts. Usually I'll limit it to checking just once a week. And now that I've got an iPhone, I'm learning how to balance that out, too.

Good luck with all of it!! It's going to be so rewarding. I love that you're doing it.