Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Numero Tres: 18 weeks

We had our big ultrasound today where they measure everything and check the baby's organs, growth and development. All was well. Baby is still a girl and measuring just about on track (2 days ahead) of my due date. I LOVE being able to see her. It's so fun to see how much she has grown and developed. I am in awe of human life and our ability to procreate. God is miraculous.

I had an appointment with Dr. Savage following the ultrasound. She said that everything must have looked good since she didn't hear anything to the contrary from the tech. It's always reassuring to know your baby is doing well. I mentioned to her that I was a little worried because I started feeling the baby move around 15.5 weeks but was anxious to see the ultrasound because I would go long periods of time without feeling movements. She told me that she wouldn't worry about that at all at this point and doesn't even ask about movement until the next appointment. Apparently, she's doing well anyway because she was a very squirmy little thing during the ultrasound and I didn't feel it!
Nothing else significant happened.

I mentioned to her that I was worried about my weight gain (as in too much). She told me she wasn't concerned at all and I was well within an acceptable range. I tried to take her word for it. I also told her that I wanted to start a health challenge group. I told her it was basically just eating healthy, avoiding processed sugar and exercising. She said it all sounded good to her except the "counting calories" part. She said that I shouldn't be worrying about that while pregnant. I asked her what an acceptable amount of weight gain would be each week and how many calories I should be consuming. She said the weight gain part is hard because about 1 lb a week is typical, but you don't always gain it that way. Sometimes you gain nothing and other times you gain more. She also suggested I try to eat at least 2000 calories, and up to 2500. That sounds like a ton to me! I guess I'll just try to eat intuitively and take what my body needs. Mostly I just want to do this challenge so I can try to stick to healthy habits and not just let it all go "just because I'm pregnant and I can." I'm hoping this will help with that.

Oh, and lastly, I just remembered one reason why I love being pregnant - I don't have to wash my hair nearly as often. I can go a good three days without even needing to worry about it! This is huge for me. I used to be a wash everyday kind of girl. :)

No comments: