Saturday, May 01, 2010

3 years in the Making...

Well, it's taken three years for me to finally get my act together and do an actual blog post. And maybe the inspiration is due to our new little blessing who was also three years in the making...Owen Kyle Wright, born on April 30, 2010. That's right! Three years. I know most of you think babies are made and come into this world in a much timelier fashion of only 9 months gestation, give or take a few months for conception. But our little guy didn't get his spirit sent to us for quite a while (to no fault of his own).

Miles and I had been trying to get pregnant for about a year when we did some testing and found out that we only had a 3% chance of conceiving on our own. So...with the help of kind parents (thank you Mom and Dad) and amazing medical technology (thank you Reproductive Care Center), we proceeded with the In Vitro Fertilization process. It only took one outpatient surgery, 10 blood draws, 60 syringes of medication injected into my hips and stomach, 14 eggs extracted, 7 fertilized embryos, one assisted hatching, one implantation of two embryos, 1,000 prayers, a lot of money and voilĂ  ! A baby is created! (Bet they didn't teach you that's how a baby is made in YOUR maturation class) 39 weeks later, Owen came into our lives. And boy are we glad! We would do it all over again! :)




(This is the image we got when we went in for implantation after 5 days of "culture." Those are the two embryos we used. The one on the right is in a blastocyst form, the other is more premature. Not many people can say they have pictures of their baby that young, now can they?!)


He went from THAT to THIS....




to THIS...!

3 comments:

Jean said...

AAAHHHHH!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Yaaaaaaaay!!! Isn't getting pregnant just grand sometimes? (Haha!) I'm so glad that your little nugget is here. We need to see pictures!!!

(And I'm glad you did a new blog post!)

Laura Horne said...

Way to go on the blog post! Now we want to see some pictures of Owen in the baby form =)

Abby Wright said...

\Yes more pictures of the little guy! I already said congrats,but I am so glad you were able to have a baby. Jared and I waited 6 months to get pregnant (I know thats nothing) and it was so frustrating for us. When we did get pregnant we were told this will be our last baby becuase I have a tumor in my uterus and they had to take out most of my uterus when he was born. And well I am so happy this is our only child because he is perfect and pregnancy sucked. I am so greatful God gave us this one baby and you such a blessing!