Monday, February 28, 2011

10 months

Owen's tenth month of life was difficult to say the least. It was hard on him and hard on us. I am glad that month is over. It started out with a rough round of teething. When we went in for his 9 month check-up, the doctor noticed his first little tooth poking through. I was surprised since I hadn't noticed it before. She said, "Well that's good. That means it wasn't a big deal for him." Sadly, she spoke too soon. Two days later, Owen starting cutting a second tooth on the bottom, right next to the first. He woke up every thirty minutes to hour that night. He was fussy, had a runny nose and fever, and basically wanted to sleep on me all day long. While I loved the cuddles, it was still difficult to have a sad, fussy baby in pain.Shortly after that, Owen got a rash of some sort on his extremities. We still aren't positive what it's from, but are thinking it could have been an allergic reaction to some pineapple he ate.

Once that went away, we only had our happy boy for about five days before he got Bronchiolitis. Again...we had a baby boy who was sad, grumpy, needy, and just not feeling good. I felt terrible for him, but it was pretty rough on me too. I would have gladly done anything to make him happy, but no matter what I did (even things that normally always brought a smile) he was sad and fussy. I remember one night I just could not wait until it was his bed time and I said to Miles, "I hate feeling this way. I don't want to look forward to when he goes to sleep because I don't want to deal with him anymore. It makes me sad because I enjoy spending time with him, but not lately." I was really sad about that. :( Gratefully, by the end of the month, we started seeing signs of our sweet, happy, baby boy coming back. It was WONDERFUL. I missed him over the past month.As rough as it's been, Owen has still found time to grow and develop and reach new accomplishments.His biggest accomplishment is that he started crawling! In the beginning of the month, he learned to inch himself around by pushing up on both arms, put his legs under him and lunge forward. This went on for a week or so. Then one day, he just started moving his hands and knees one by one. He's still not super speedy, but he gets around the whole house and into everything in no time.
Crawling has led to him exploring the house in its entirety. He loves opening all the cupboards and emptying all the contents inside. Basically, he loves getting into everything he shouldn't get into.Owen likes to play in the open dishwasher.At the beginning of the month, he was able to pull himself up into a kneeling position. By mid-February, I went to get him up in the morning only to discover he could pull himself up into a standing position. It was definitely time to move the crib bed down!
Owen hates having his diaper or clothes changed and fights it with all he's got.

He enjoys watching PBS and cartoons like Sesame Street and Dinosaur Train, but only for very limited amounts of time.
His eating has been all over the place. While he was teething, he refused to eat much at all. He has become much more opinionated about food and will quickly push your hand away or swat or grab at the spoon. This has made for much messier eating times.He bounces up and down when he hears music he likes.

Owen does these funny sideways glances, or looks at you from the top of his eyes. It's very silly.Much to our chagrin, he has discovered toilet paper and loves to roll it out and tear it into tiny bits.Sleep this past month has been horrible. He has been waking up anywhere between 5 AM and 6:30 AM and is ready to get up for the day. I keep telling myself it's just a phase, but I am so ready for this phase to be over.Even though it was a rough month, he makes it all worth it...

4 comments:

Abby Wright said...

Can't wait till Noah crawls all over. He runs all over in his walker but not crawling all over. Was his rash after his feaver? If so... it could be Roseola which is REALLY common for kids his age.

Kelli said...

Its funny I read the part about him playing with the dishwasher and I thought, felix does that too, and then I realized that our cat does that, not felix...

Diana said...

I love the 4th picture where you can see his cute little teeth! I'm glad he's finally starting to feel better!

jessipants said...

cute cute cute. cuteness. dot. com.