Saturday, August 27, 2011

Broken Phone = Broken Heart

So, Miles and I got the first generation iPhones a few months after they first came out. We had them through all the upgraded, new and improved versions. Finally, when the iPhone 4 came out, Miles and I were ready to upgrade. They've been good to us, and we've been good to them. Even through Owen playing with (and throwing) them, they've been resilient and durable. Well...that came to an end not too long ago.

After we did Kyle's temple work and were walking back to our cars in the parking garage, Miles decided to be super cool and tricky and hop over a railing that was blocking his path. When he did that, his phone (which was in his shirt pocket) flew out and landed on the concrete. This was the result:


Of course Miles was devastated. We were also concerned because it was a work phone. (After we got our new iPhone 4's, his work decided to change their plan and upgrade their phones, offering iPhone 4's through work. Miles decided to sell his phone and get a work phone to save us money on our monthly bill). We weren't sure if we would have to pay to get it repaired. Not even a week later, I was out for my morning walk with Owen. I was contemplating stopping after two laps of the route I go on rather than three. Then I decided to buck up and finish my walk. I was running across a street to hurry past a car and quickly hopped his stroller over the curb. I finished my last lap and looked down to check the time on my phone. I was shocked to discover my phone was not there! I quickly checked my pockets, the bottom of his stroller and anywhere else I could think. I started to panic. I started to run a fourth lap (so much for going easy) to see if I could find where I had lost my phone. Sure enough, it was 1/2 way through my lap (right after running up a big hill) where I had run across the street. It was laying in the gutter. I was so happy to see it. But as I picked it up and turned it over, I discovered this:I was a sad panda. So, the good news was that I didn't lose my phone. The bad news was that I had to get it fixed. Miles and I could not believe that after all these years of never having problems with our phones and having these for over a year, we both cracked our screens within a week of each other.

We took them up to the Apple store to see what it would cost us. The guy looked up our phones to see if they were still under warranty. He said that Miles's was by just a couple weeks. And since he hadn't had any problems, he said as a one-time-only deal he would replace it for free. This was AWESOME since Miles broke his front screen. The front screen costs $200 to replace. They don't actually even replace the screen - they just replace your whole phone. So Miles walked away with a brand new iPhone 4 for free! I wasn't so lucky. My phone was the one we bought (whereas, Miles got his through work a month after we bought ours) and was out of warranty. However, the good thing was that I broke my back screen and it was only $30 to replace. We did end up spending some more money on better cases than the flimsy, free ones Apple gave out, but all in all, it was a pretty good deal.

While our broken phones caused us some heart break, luckily it was only temporary and we hope to keep them nice and safe (and in one piece) in the future!

2 comments:

Megs said...

You guys are a mess!

taryn said...

Holy cow! I'm so glad you were able to replace them for minimal fees!

I recently had an issue with my iphone4 speaker (I had to make all calls on speaker phone because the earpiece speaker all the sudden stopped working) and we took it up that very day to have it checked out, and luckily that same day we went was also my last day of warranty! So i got a new one and it works great! Brady dropped his a few weeks later and it has one crack along the bottom, so we're not going to pay $200 to have it fixed. Anyway, that's our story. Funny how things happen all at once!