Monday, August 15, 2011

Update

We've had such a busy weekend with family I haven't been able to write about our meeting with Dr. Heiner on Friday. Based on the conversations I had with the nurses, I wasn't really sure what to expect. But I can say I didn't expect the outcome we got.

Dr. Heiner reviewed some of our records and said that we could try "the old-fashioned way" if we wanted (AKA - no medical intervention). I was pretty shocked that he even suggested that. He talked our options over with us. He stated that we could try to do IUI if we wanted as well. He said there are three different options with IUI. Just plain insemination; insemination with pills (which help you to ovulate if that is an issue) and insemination with injections (which help to produce up to 2 or 3 eggs). Then he gave us some rough statistics on how things might work out. He said we need to keep in mind that the average, healthy couple has only a 17% chance to conceive each month. He gave us about a 7% chance on our own. With insemination it goes up to 10%, and insemination with injections increases it to 13%. And of course IVF gives you a 50% chance.

I've been planning on starting our IVF cycle this month, anticipating a possible pregnancy. So I told Miles I'm kind of antsy to get going, as I'd hopefully rather have Owen closer to 2 years apart from his sibling than 3 years apart. I feel like 1-2 months of trying on our own will likely not do much, considering it takes some couples up to a year to conceive anyway. So after talking it over together and with the doctor, we decided that we'd like to go straight to IUI (basic insemination) to increase our chances slightly. We may try 2-3 months of that and if it doesn't work, go to IUI w/ injections for 2-3 months. If after 4-6 months of trying IUI it is unsuccessful, we will go back to IVF. I'm really hopeful that this might work out for us. The good news is, that we could potentially save a lot of money. The bad news is that if it doesn't work, we'd be out that much more. But I think it's worth the gamble to see if it works.

I know this will sound absolutely ridiculous, but I told Miles there was a small part of me that was sad we aren't doing IVF. I know it's crazy, but I kind of enjoyed the whole process last time. It is so interesting how it works, and I love being involved in each step of the way. Yeah, the shots suck, but seeing how many eggs you get and how many fertilize, and getting a picture of those embryos, it's all so amazing. Not to mention I love being put under anesthesia. I'm always a total goof afterward and sleep awesome. I was also looking forward to documenting it this time since I didn't keep super detailed notes of the experience last time. Honestly, the worst part of it all is the money...and the sadness if it doesn't work. BUT I am incredibly grateful that we have this chance to try something different. It would be amazing if it works for us and if in the future we could actual conceive without any medical interventions at all. It would be a miracle. So that's where we are at. Now I just have to wait until my little ovulation predictor kit gives me the sign. Then it's back to the waiting game. Keep your fingers crossed! :)

6 comments:

Sharalea said...

I love your positive outlook and the GREAT options from your dr!! SO exciting!! I'm hoping you get to save some $ this time around and of course you'll be making another super-adorable baby!! :) Loveya

Jan and Carol Van de Wetering Family said...

There IS one positive to going through IVF. Grandma and grandpa get LOTSSSSSS of frequent flyer miles. HA HA HA. I'd rather walk. Hope you have success the fun way. :)

Jean said...

Okay, fingers crossed!!! I really hope that everything works out smoothly - that would be awesome! Wow, I had no idea that the average couple only has a 17% chance of conception. That's nuts! With all the different variables, it's amazing that anyone EVER gets pregnant.

Kelli said...

Woohoo!! I'm so excited for your turkey baster baby. Maybe I should step it up so we can bump bellies again.

ha ha! My word verification is Ovifulo

Abby Wright said...

You know the injections are hCG. I sell those as a matter if fact I was taking the drops last month and they made me stop because my egg production was through the roof. And since we can't have more kids they told me to stop other wise I would have working pregnancies.

Abby Wright said...

Not working pregnancies tubular pregnancies. Uh iPhones