Sunday, November 25, 2012

Sneaky Sneaky...

I think we have figured out a way around this storage issue junk. There's actually a couple ways. First way is by using Imgur.com. The site is free, and you can upload your photos there and create a direct link url and post the pictures on your blog with that link. The problem is it's kind of a pain in a couple ways. First of all, you have to upload your pictures there. Secondly, you have to get individual links to each picture and add them each separately to the blog. Thirdly, (kind of the kicker in my opinion) you have to access those pictures at least once every six months in order for them to remain "active" and stay on imgur/the blog. Miles said he would create a bot that would crawl my pages and load each blog post every six months, but that still sounded like a bit much.

The next option is still a pain, but I think I'm going to try it out and see just how much of a pain it is. Miles is a co-author on the blog. HE, apparently, does not have storage issues through his gmail account. So the total storage is not directly related to your blog, but rather your gmail account. Therefore, he is able to upload LOTS of photos. The pain that comes in, is this...if I want it to be published under my name (still not sure if I care that much about it...although Miles says he does, and if I do it under him then he'll get all the comment notices sent to his email...) I have to:

1. Create the blog post under my account
2. Log out and back in under Miles's account
3. Upload pictures
4. Log out and back in under my account
5. Finish up blog post and publish

So I actually think you could continue to have unlimited storage if you just use a spouse/alias account. I'm going to try it out this week and see how difficult it seems. If anyone else has good ideas on how to hack the system, let me know!

4 comments:

Laura Horne said...

Dude, just pay for it. It's still a cheap hobby and these records/memories are priceless right? You don't want to add any steps/process that might hinder your blogging.

Holly said...

Good luck!! :)

Kaela said...

Do what I did and switch to wordpress? You have three times the free storage. Not a permanent solution, but it should last a few years longer. And it's super easy to transfer your old blog posts to it. You might be able to create another email account for yourself and use it to write on this account.

Sharalea said...

So what did you decide to do??