Saturday, December 01, 2012

Elsie: Birth - 2 mo.

Elsie was just born and I'm already behind on updates! I cannot believe how fast the last two months have flown. Each day seems to go by so quickly. And each day I fall more and more in love with my sweet, baby girl.

At birth, Elsie was 7 lbs. 11 oz. and 19 inches long.

Here are her two week stats (which were actually taken closer to 2.5 weeks old):

Head: 13.75 in. (30th percentile)
Length: 20.5 in. (60th percentile)
Weight: 7 lbs. 12 oz. (40th percentile)

I was so incredibly happy that she had gone back up to her birthweight. I struggled with milk supply with Owen so much and I wasn't sure how it would be with Elsie. I did some minor supplements with her in those first few weeks, but nothing too major.

In the first month, Elsie struggled a lot with reflux. I got her on Zantac, but it didn't really seem to be helping. She was on an eating schedule of every 1.5-3 hours (that's start to start). That might sound normal, but it wasn't. She would eat for about an hour, and then want to eat again within 30 min to an hour. This would also go on throughout the night. It was exhausting waking up every other hour to feed her. I felt like a total zombie. But at the same time...how can I not smile waking up to a face like this???


At my 6 week checkup, I asked the doctor if I could try her on adult Prevacid (since our insurance wouldn't cover the solutab without a pre-auth). She said that would be fine. It's a bit of a pain as we have to open the capsule to pour out the time-release beads, put them in her mouth and give her a bottle to help swallow them down. She hates it and often gags or gives us stink-face when we're doing this. We're hoping to get a pre-auth taken care of soon. But on the plus side, I've decided it's no coincidence that right at the time she started taking Prevacid, she began sleeping a minimum of 5 hours at night. Over the past week, it's even gone up to 7 or 8 hours each night. It's amazing! She still eats fairly often during the day (about every 2.5-3 hours, start to start) and still nurses for about 40 min - an hour. But that's ok. I'm just glad she is getting her sleep at night, is spitting up less, and seems to be much happier.

And amazingly, she is growing like a champ! Here are her two month stats:

Head: 15 in. (40th percentile)
Length: 23.5 in. (90th percentile)
Weight: 10 lb. 15 oz. (60th percentile)

WHAT?! I'm not used to looking at numbers like that! I am so so happy I've been able to provide what she needs to be strong and healthy.

During the day, she's kind of unpredictable. She often takes one longer nap (about 2 hours or so) at some point, but some days she does more cat naps. Also, she is often pretty content when she is awake in her swing for a bit. Then after a while she'll start squawking. But the great thing about her is that usually, if she's tired, as soon as you pick her up and walk with her for a few minutes, she crashes out. Then I can wrap her up and put her back in the swing for a nap. She definitely prefers to be swaddled when she sleeps. But if she's awake, she will protest, grunt and squirm until you release her.

She hates pacifiers and almost 100% of the time when I try to give her one, she will gag or forcefully spit it out. She has found her fingers and fist in the last couple weeks and can often be heard sucking loudly on them.


Similarly to Owen, she also gets the hiccups a LOT...as in at least 3 times a day. I feel bad for her, but at the same time, it really doesn't seem to bother her. It was funny because one time I was nursing her at a Mexican restaurant and the waitress came up and said, "Can I say something? Don't eat the salsa while you feed her. It will give her the hiccups." I thought that was amusing and totally sounds like an old wives tale. Little did she know that Elsie gets them all the time anyway. I also did not think that was where the conversation was going. Thankfully, she had no qualms about me feeding her in the restaurant.

Poor girl has a clogged tear duct. At first I thought it was pink eye since she woke up with it completely crusted over. And oddly enough, that same day we took Owen in to the doctor for an ear ache, he also started showing signs of pink eye. He actually had it - she just has this nasty clogged duct. :(

Around 6 weeks she started to give the BEST smiles. I almost always get to wake up to a very happy and smiley baby every morning. And if she is awake after she's eaten, she is usually all smiles and coos. It seriously melts my heart every time to see her big grin and happy, squinty eyes. Sometimes I'll get a few giggles out of her too!

She really is an incredibly sweet baby and has such a gentle spirit. I feel so blessed to have had her join our family.





Look at that cute profile!




A little fun with Photo Booth. Some people think she looks a little creepy/scary. I think she looks awesome!



I'm so glad Daddy passed on his dimples again!

A "brain constrictor" (as Miles calls it) turned sleep mask:

Elsie with her cousin, Joel Robertson, who was born about a month before her:

I just liked the view of her tiny head and body in the Boppy.

The many faces of Elsie...

I loved this little series of pictures.

And of course, a gratuitous amount of sleeping baby pictures. There is just something so sweet about a sleeping newborn.

I am 100% in love with this girl!

No comments: