Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Insanity

About a month ago I decided to commit to doing the Insanity 60 day challenge. I figured that I could do anything for 60 days, right? Well, it's been tough! The first day I did a Fit Test to see where I was at with some of the basic exercises that are done in the program. I thought I was going to die. Seriously. I could hardly do some of the moves and kind of wanted to throw up when it was done. Let's just say I was starting from lower than ground zero in terms of exercise. But my coach and friend, Megan Potter, told me to go for it and she thought I could do it.

So here I am. Three and a half weeks into it. I definitely still struggle doing some of the moves (mostly the ones involving push-ups) but already I have seen huge improvements. My form is far better, my stamina is greater, and I don't want to die. Well, at least most days I don't. ;)

The hard part for me is that my patellar tendonitis from my high school volleyball days is acting up. I woke up today with a very achey knee. But I'm still pushing through. I try to listen to my body and go a little easier on moves that would further aggravate my knee, but I'm not giving up.

And you know, even if I don't lose a ton of weight at the end of this, I know that I'm doing something that is good for my body. And while there are days I'd happily pass on my workout, I always feel proud of myself and good about a finished workout.

Sometimes Owen likes to do exercises with me. I love it when he validates me by saying, "It's really hard!" Yes, bud...it is.

But truly, the best thing about doing this. Is the instructor, Shaun T. I was talking to Kerry (who has done the Insanity workouts before) and said, "Sometimes, Shaun T really reminds me of Kyle." She immediately agreed. She said she was so happy that I said that because she had thought the same thing and wondered if it was crazy. We both noticed that his mannerisms and the way he talks is reminiscent of our brother. Kerry said, "I like it when I do Insanity because when I see him I think, 'Hi Kykie!'" After we discussed this, the next day when I was working out I got a little emotional. It was as though it made it that much more real to me that he was like Kyle. It definitely makes it more enjoyable to feel as though I am working out with my long lost brother. :)

Here is a picture of Owen doing some exercises with me:

And one of me dripping after a workout. Insanity causes a serious sweat!

Here's to another 6 weeks of INSANITY!

No comments: