Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Total Eclipse of the Heart?

My wonderful friend, Bridget Reed, offered me a free pass to a 9 PM showing of Eclipse on opening night. I thought...sure...why not? Honestly when she called and asked if I liked Twilight I kind of said, "Mmmm...yeah...whatever." Here's my problem - when I watch the movies, they just make me feel embarrased I ever liked the books. Bridget put it appropriately when she said that putting a romance novel to a film script just makes it seem cheesy and ridiculous. But hey, it was a free pass and a night out with some girls. And not to look a gift horse in the mouth, I graciously say: THANK YOU, BRIDGET!

Here are some pictures of us at the movie. They were all taken from my new iPhone 4. As you can see, the regular camera takes way better pictures as compared to the front facing camera.


Bridget Reed and Kelly Nordfelt holding our sweet badges we had to wear in order to get into the 9 PM showing:

Jill Fellow and Me:


Jill, me, Bridget and Kelly:


Ok...now to give an honest review and appraisal of the movie. First off, there were far too many crazy girls there who were obviously obsessed with the Twilight phenomenon and the "team Edward" or "team Jacob." I think because I didn't want to associate myself with these types, I had a hard time letting go of my skepticism and just enjoying the movie. After it was over, I thought it was similar to the first two movies - poor acting with sappy and cheesy dialogues. My first thought of what I actually liked was the action and fight sequences...Which I thought was funny being a girl who attended a romantic drama or whatever category it falls into. However, after some deep reflection (cause come on, it was a deep movie) I decided there was more to it that gave it some semblance of quality. I would say any scenes with Bella's Dad were classic. He was probably the best actor in the whole movie, and quite charming and funny. I also enjoyed some of the interactions between Edward and Jacob. Although somewhat contrived and having to deal with Bella's horrid displays in those scenes, they still provided a few laughs. Overall, I would give the movie a B-. Not the worst movie, but definitely not the best. And it was great to get out of the house for a while although I still thought about Owen about 50 times while I was there and worried if he was ok after his traumatic day. So, in the end, Eclipse was only a partial eclipse of my heart.

No comments: