Sunday, May 01, 2011

365 days * 52 weeks * 12 months * 1 YEAR!

That's right! Owen is ONE YEAR OLD! I cannot believe it. Part of me feels like he has been with me forever, and the other part feels like he was a newborn baby just yesterday. I've held it together pretty well and didn't shed any tears. I got a little choked up when I got my weekly email from babycenter that said, "Your Toddler. One year." I thought, "Seriously?! Toddler? No way! He's still my baby!"

Here are my baby's stats:
Head: 46 cm (45th percentile)
Length: 29 3/4 in (60th percentile)
Weight: 20 lbs 6 oz (15th percentile)

His percentiles are similar to his last check-up at nine months. So I guess he's growing at about the same rate in all areas and is my lean boy.

Owen is learning to get around even better now. He is cruising around furniture and can easily pull himself up and sit down. He can also bend over, pick something up and stand back up while holding onto something for support.

While Miles was gone to the Philippines, he loved to see him on Skype and would get so excited. He also loves to see him on FaceTime on our iPhones. He will frequently get upset or cry when we say goodbye and Daddy isn't on the screen anymore.Owen points all the time. At people or objects in the room.

He unfortunately learned to open the toilet lid and consequently splashed his hand in the water.
Owen finally learned to wave. Well...he's waved for a while, but now it is obviously directed at another person rather than just random movement. He waves by flopping his hand and arm up and down. It's really cute. He still doesn't have it perfected, and sometimes thinks about it for a while before doing it, but it's a work in progress.
He has started shaking his head "no," back and forth when he doesn't want any more food. He used to push my hand away, but now he just shake his head back and forth until I get the message.
Owen really doesn't like grass. The first time we put him on the grass he cried and reared his arms and legs up. It was kind of funny, but sad at the same time. One time I had him on a blanket on the grass. I put the pacifier on the grass to see if he would crawl out and get it. He just went to the edge of the blanket and cried. We're working on it and he's slowly warming up to it.He is currently working on standing and balancing unaided. One day he pulled himself up, let go of me, and balanced for as long as he could until he fell. He did this over and over for at least 10 minutes. His longest time standing alone was probably about 10 seconds.
He loves to stack his cups inside one another or along the edge of the tub when he is taking a bath. Sometimes this leads to large amounts of water being poured over the side and on me.

Owen does a lot of babbling. He said all kinds of adorable nonsense. He has said "ma ma ma ma" for a long time. Although I think he might actually know that I am "Mama" even though it's not obvious that he directs his stream of "ma ma's" at me. The other day we finally got him to say "da da." This is a consonant he hadn't used. We're still working on it.I really cannot believe I have spent a whole year with my sweet baby boy. He is so much fun and I am loving this stage he is in. He brings me joy on a daily basis and I am so glad that I get to spend everyday with him.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday, Owen! He is such a stinkin' cutie - I can't believe he's already a year old!

Jean said...

Happy birthday, fella!!! You are so darn cute!

Megs said...

These pictures are so cute! I wish I lived closer!

Kelli said...

I love that gray and black shirt. I can't believe it's been that long either. Craziness. It seems like last month we were working together. Felix HATED the grass his first go around, but he doesn't seem to care anymore. He just sits in it and eats it. It's nice to see smiling pictures of Owen. I've seen a lot of frowns from him lately :)