Saturday, May 14, 2011

Girls Retreat

Earlier this year, some of the girls I met while living in Old Mill got in touch about doing a girls retreat sans children (if possible). I was super excited at the prospect of getting a couple days away to re-energize and have some much needed "me time" with the girls. My mother-in-law so amazingly agreed to drive up to Utah from Arizona, solely for the purpose of watching Owen, so I could go on my get away. She is incredible! Laura picked me up on Wednesday night and we drove up to Midway, where Desiree had so generously offered up her time share. That night we got settled in and chatted the night away.

Thursday morning we got up and went to the gym in the main office building for a work-out. We came back to our room to have breakfast and get ready for the day. We tried to use the water, but it wouldn't turn on. We called the main office, and apparently there were some problems with the water lines, so they had to turn them off. To make a long story short, we basically had to get water from the water container in the gym to use for making breakfast. Then we had to lug all our stuff over to another building to use their showers to get ready. It was really frustrating and annoying, but the good thing is, Desiree got two nights comped and free internet out of the whole ordeal.

After eating delicious turkey, spinach and tomato omelettes made by Desiree and Deveney, and getting ready for the day, we headed out to Park City for some shopping. We spent the rest of the day shopping those outlets to death. We hit up just about every store and did not leave empty handed. Mid-day we took a lunch break and decided to all cram on this one little bench. Perfect photo op.
After buying some rompers and Sunday clothes for Owen, I decided I should buy a little something for myself. I made my first handbag purchase...ever. I know. Crazy, right? Deveney spotted this little cutie, and I decided I had to have one of my own.
Here was the total damage:
Desiree left us part way through the day because she had Motab practice. Since we were pretty exhausted from a long day of shopping, we decided to just grab some Cafe Rio for dinner. The CA girls were excited about this since they don't get it on a regular basis.
That night we just relaxed and watched Morning Glory and chatted into the wee hours of the morning. The next day we got up, ate Ears (or Dutch Babies/German Pancakes) for breakfast. Then, Desiree, Deveney and I went over the Kaela's in-laws' place to go for a morning hike. Laura stayed behind to work on her Young Women's lesson. (And apparently she hit gold while we were away and came up with an awesome lesson. Yay!) We hiked the hills behind their home and came across a little stream. It was beautiful. When we got back to the house, Bennett was up from his morning nap.

Kaela strapped him on her back and we hiked up the top of this hill across from their home. It was a crazy steep, straight up hike. Pictures do not do the incline justice, so I am not including them. But it was worth it for the view when we got to the top. And of course we did some classic jumping shots (which I had never done by the way). They turned out pretty good. It was a great way to start our morning. Here are some pictures from our hikes:After our hike, we got ready and went into Heber for lunch. Desiree was really excited to go to Granny's Drive In for their awesome shakes. Sadly, the sign said they were closed until May. What??? Um...yeah...pretty sure it's May. There was a guy outside that told us it was closed until Memorial Day weekend. Lame. We were super disappointed. Later when we drove by, they had changed their sign to say "See you May 24th."So instead we hit up Dairy Keen. It was pretty yummy and I really enjoyed my sweet potato fries and fresh raspberry shake. Yum!After lunch, Kaela left with Bennett to put him down for a nap and the rest of us when to get pedicures. It was especially nice after a long morning of hiking.Then we walked the streets of Heber and Midway to explore the local boutiques.Here I am playing with Bennett. It was nice to have a baby around since I was missing Owen. This was my first time away from him over night and for more than a few hours. Luckily, Bennett gave me some smiles to keep my baby hunger pangs at bay.
Dev and I showing off our new twinner hand bags:

That night we went to dinner at Tarahumara in Midway. Desiree did an awesome job of parking...But after we left, we found someone had followed her lead. It was pretty funny.It was a fabulous Mexican restuarant with an incredible salsa bar. Here is a picture of the salsas we stocked up on, and that's not even all of them!
After dinner we came back to the condo to do some crafting. Kaela generously offered her talents and skills to help us create some adorable headbands. Sadly, Desiree's sewing machine hated the invisible thread and did not want to cooperate. After a lot of frustration (on Des's part...poor girl) a torn headband, and only one completed, we decided to bag it. Kaela was so sweet and finished making them and sent them to us after she got home. Her stuff is pretty awesome. You should check it out here. I am in love with her bibs and snack bags and I use them all the time for Owen.That night as we were looking through pictures, Desiree noticed that her new sunglasses looked funny in some of them. We told her to put them on so we could look. They seemed normal enough......then Kaela told her to smile. We were dying laughing at the result:That was our last night together. We watched Tangled, and again stayed up talking for a while. We said our goodbyes to Kaela that night, as she was leaving early the next day to head home to CA. The next morning, Des left early to go with a friend through the temple for their first time. Laura, Deveney and I packed up and left to go to some more boutiques. We went to Dear Lizzy in Highland first. I had never been, but I loved it. It was total eye candy.
We had lunch at the cafe in the store and then met up with Desiree at Oopsie Daisy in South Jordan. Here is our last picture together:
It was such a wonderful retreat with these amazing women. We had so many laughs and built fun memories. I am so grateful to my mother-in-law for watching Owen so I could get away and rejuvenate. Here's looking forward to Girls Retreat 2012! Hopefully this next time, we will be joined by Karly and Andrea too! :D

3 comments:

Rachel said...

How fun!! Looks like you had a total blast! And shoot - I'm loving that handbag. You'll have to let me borrow it sometime :) And Danny's parents have that same time share! We stayed up in that exact one in Midway for our first anniversary and for Christmas last year.

Social Justice/Human Rights/Macro Project said...

Fun!! Looks like you had a well deserved break. Thanks for sharing. Love You sis.

Kelli said...

That looks awesome. I'm having my first weekend away from Felix at the end of July and I'm pretty nervous. The last time I was in Dairy Keen the waitress told me all about this girl who was wearing a halter top and her boobs fell out. Good old Heber.