Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Buh-buh

Owen is obsessed with balls. He loves them so much and will immediately point and say "oooooooooo" whenever he sees one - or anything that closely resembles a ball (fruit, eggs, balloons, dots, pretty much anything round). When I first took him out to the pool this summer, he was oohing and ahhing over all the balls that people would bring. I realized I should have brought one to the pool as well. So the next time I brought his small beach ball. But he seemed to prefer all the big, bright, colorful balls other people had. So, like any good mother (who gets her child whatever he wants) I went to the store to find a big, bright ball. I let him pick out which one he wanted (determined by the extra oohs it received) and we took it home. He wanted to hold it the whole way home. It was ginormous, taking over his entire body and car seat. And anytime it would fall to the side, he would freak out. Therefore I was left to do some crazy acrobatics and stretching to get the ball from the sides in the back and onto his lap. I decided it was either the best or worst purchase I had ever made for him.

The next time I took him to the pool, I was certain that he would be so thrilled to have his big, bright, blue, ball with him. But no. After all of 2 minutes, he ignores it and starts pointing to the other balls in the pool - big, small, bright, dull, whatever. Anything but the one he has. Sigh. I lose.

More recently, Owen has been using the term "buh-buh" for ball. It's really cute to see him point and say, "buh-buh!" Sometimes it takes me a minute to find the "ball" (or ball looking item) that he sees. But the BEST was when we were all laying in bed together in the morning. He lifted up Daddy's shirt, pat his belly and said, "buh-buh!" Miles and I died laughing...maybe me more than him. ;)
My little Atlas:
He also has a really great overhand throw and loves to throw with anyone who will play with him.
And, just to prove his obsession, he looked up while I was typing this, saw the pictures with the balls and said, "buh-buh!" He is now in the other room, throwing his buh-buhs and yelling "buh-buh" at the top of his lungs. He is such a boy. And I love every minute of it. Time for me to go throw the buh-buhs with my baby. :)

2 comments:

Jan and Carol Van de Wetering Family said...

I wish the video on my camera had turned out (It might have helped if I actually had turned it on!!!). It was so cute seeing him laugh, giggle, chuckle, hoot, and burst out laughing when he would throw the ball to Hadley and Elena and they would act like they were "fighting" over it. He was laughing so hard he could hardly catch his breath. Such a cutie... I'm ROFL.

Jan and Carol Van de Wetering Family said...

Grandpa says the Giants' need you, Owen!