Friday, July 15, 2011

HP 7.2

Harry Potter has been a big part of my life. I started reading the books in 2001. I wasn't too sure about them, but decided to give them a try after a good friend of mine suggested it. I enjoyed the first book, but wasn't completely sold on them. The second was good and got me more invested. But it was the third book that really hooked me. I would probably say that is still my favorite book. The fourth book was also out at this time, but then I had to wait for books five, six, and seven. I bought each of them the day they came out, either going to a store first thing in the morning, or having it pre-ordered to arrive at my home. And before each new release, I reread the series through the latest book. I was pretty much obsessed by that point. I loved them all. I loved going on the journey with Harry as he got older and as the books became more mature along with him. I laugh and cried with the characters. I felt connected to them and knew that they would fondly remain in my heart (and on my bookshelf) forever.

I was of course ecstatic when they decided to make them into movies. However, it was hard to watch them. I was disappointed at how so much was left out of each movie - and often parts that I felt were paramount to the storyline. I was especially disheartened when they butchered the third movie, which is my favorite book. And although they didn't live up to my expectations or what I envisioned as I had read each book, I decided to stick with them.

The fourth movie came out in November 2005. Miles and I were casually dating at the time. He mentioned that he had an extra ticket to the midnight showing of the movie. I told him how much I would LOVE to go, and hoped that since we were dating (aka making out) that he would of course choose me. I was wrong. He ended up taking this freshman girl that was in his brother's ward and whom Mitchell had suggested he go out with. I was totally heartbroken and furious. Miles always jokes that he's never been able to live that down and I'll always hold it against him.

This year, he decided to make it up to me. On his birthday, he told me that he had a present for me too. He showed me a screen shot of the confirmation showing he had bought two tickets to the midnight showing of the final Harry Potter movie, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. I didn't know how to react. He said, "I thought you'd be really happy about this." I said, "Who's getting up with Owen the next day?" Suddenly, being a mom and the prospect of losing my much needed sleep outweighed any excitement of going to the movie opening night. I was also worried about who would stay at our place to be with Owen at such a late hour. Marci already had plans to go to a midnight showing as well. Miles told me to call Bridget to see if she would let Owen sleep at her house while we were at the movie. Bridget was incredibly nice and said that would be fine with her. She also said we could leave him there overnight and come get him in the morning. I decided this was the best plan of action, as I didn't want to wake him up between 3 and 4 am and have him decide he'd had enough sleep and was awake for the day. However, even with arrangements made for Owen, I was feeling nervous about how tired I would be the next day. I'm not the young, spring chicken I once was. After thinking it over, I decided that I couldn't let this opportunity pass me by since it was the final Harry Potter movie, and the end of an era.

I went to Bridget's around 7 PM to drop Owen off and put him to bed. I made sure he was asleep and down for the night and came home. Around 11 PM, Miles and I headed to the theater in Sandy. Miles bought the tickets for Jordan Commons since they have assigned seating and that way we wouldn't have to worry about getting there early to get good seats. Despite all the initial screaming and incredibly hyper fanatics, everyone seemed to quiet and calm down once the movie started. It was FABULOUS. I was not disappointed in the least. Alan Rickman was superb and Helena Bonham Carter was flawless. And of course I cried. I have to say, the hardest part for me, was when they do a flashback to when Harry's parents are killed. They show Harry as a baby, crying in the crib while his Mom is lying dead on the floor. It broke my heart. He looked to be about the same age as Owen. And all I could picture was Owen's sweet face, crying helplessly. We all know from my previous post, Morbid Thoughts, that I tend to think in terms of worst-case scenarios. So of course it hasn't gone past me to think about what if I die and leave Owen behind. And yes, I know that Voldemort isn't going to come and kill me and Miles and leave Owen behind with his own little lightening shaped scar on his forehead. Anyway...it just got to me. But it was an incredible movie and a great end to a journey that began for me 10 years ago.

1 comment:

Miles said...

I still remember when I tried to talk to you and you were reading one of them. You got kind of upset and told me to leave you alone, it was a really intense part!