Monday, July 18, 2011

STDs

Did I get your attention? Well...it's not really as exciting as it sounds. RCC (Reproductive Care Center) requires each patient (husband and wife) to get STD testing done before they begin the IVF cycle. The reason is in case you have embryos to freeze. They want to make sure there is no concern for contamination due to STDs in having them frozen with other embryos. It's really annoying. I did this testing two years ago, but they require it every year. We had the choice to opt out of it, but then we would have to find somewhere else to have our embryos frozen and it would cost more. Last time we didn't have any to freeze, but you never know, so I don't really want to take a chance on it. It's just so frustrating because it's not like anything has changed in the last two years and I still have the same husband/partner. Grrr. So I bit the bullet and did the blood work. I just got the bill in the mail. For them to tell me what I already knew (that I don't have any STDs, in case you were worried)...it cost over $500. So lame. Oh, and that's just for me. Miles still needs to go in. Sigh. Oh well...it will be worth it in the end if I get to hold another sweet baby in my arms.

6 comments:

Natasha said...

That is rediculously EXPENSIVE!!!

Kelli said...

Well, it's Miles I was worried about anyway. I will be anxious for his results. Did you learn nothing from book club last night?

Abby Wright said...

You know there are STD's you could have from years ago that could show up now like ones HPV yet you still have to be tested for that every time you get your yearly. AND this might be TMI but I get BV (Bacterial Vaginosis) a lot AND more when I was pregnant and it is an STD...becuase my chemicals and my husbands don't always match not because we have ever had any other partners. Better safe then sorry I guess.

Holly said...

No fun! And ridiculously expensive! I'm so sorry. Good luck with everything. And I'm excited to be looking at your blog again finally. :)

Jan and Carol Van de Wetering Family said...

Well I think you should have offered them a gamble.

If You were NOT positive they would pay you $500

If You WER positive, you'd pay them $500.

HA HA. RIIIIIIGHT... they'd take you up on that!

Good luck to my little grandbaby's mom and dad.

Jan and Carol Van de Wetering Family said...

I think you should have insisted on a gamble.

1) If you were NOT positive, they would pay you $500.

2) If you WERE positive, you would pay them $500.

Works for me. Rooting for another little Wright!