Friday, July 29, 2011

Hygiene and Cleanliness

One morning when I was getting ready and brushing my teeth while holding Owen, he kept reaching for my toothbrush. He was enthralled by the back and forth motion going on in my mouth. So I pulled it out and gave his teeth a swipe with my toothbrush. (Sorry if anyone thinks that is gross. I'm way over sharing spit/drool/slobber with my son). He seemed content and moved on. The next day, when he saw me brushing my teeth, he started yelling at me and pulled out his pacifier. I again swiped his teeth and he was happy. Now, anytime he sees me brushing my teeth, he starts yelling at me to brush his and will spit out his pacifier if it's in his mouth. I've found this can even bring him out of a bad mood when he's in a funk. Go figure.

Owen has also discovered the Swiffer. Whenever I bring it out to sweep or mop, he follows me everywhere I go like a little puppy dog and tries to grab the handle. When I'm done, I put a fresh cloth on the bottom and let him use it. He LOVES pushing it around the house, and lucky for me, he picks up some dirt along the way. :) Unfortunately, when it's time to put it away, he gets
very upset and will often cry. So I usually give it back. Who am I to deny my child from cleaning?Owen also loves the dryer. He loves to throw things inside, pull them out, shut the door, and especially...to climb inside of the dryer.
One day, he woke up super grumpy from a nap. I mean, inconsolable grumpy. Nothing would make him happy...until I put him in the washing machine.
But then he started getting upset because he was stuck, so I took him out. Then he kept crying until I put him back in. He was happy for a bit, until he tried to move again and realized he was stuck and started to fuss. Then I took him out again and he cried. We did this about three times, until I decided we were done with that "game."

But hey, at least my kid likes all things having to do with hygiene and cleanliness...well, except having his diaper changed. We'll have to work on that one.

4 comments:

taryn said...

Those pics of Miles with the swifter are priceless!

Olivia loves to brush her teeth every night too! I wouldn't be a good dental hygienist if I didn't tell you to keep reinforcing his good brushing habits! It's never too early :)

Jan and Carol Van de Wetering Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jan and Carol Van de Wetering Family said...

Is my grandchild anything but the absolute cutest???
and ADORABLE ....
And charming, cute, cuddly, sweet and enchanting?
Is he not engaging, endearing, darling, AND delightful?
Not to mention beautiful, attractive, gorgeous, winning, fetching and loveable?

Well now that this biased, prejudiced, partial, preferential and discriminaory grandmother has thoroughly and effectively utilized the thesaurus (is that a dino?) and bored everyone.. I'll have to reply YES!!! he IS.... all of the above.

Love that little guy!

taryn said...

Totally meant to say Owen by the way! I'm sure you figured that out already, haha!