Saturday, September 24, 2011

62nd Ward Reunion & Playing in puddles

When Miles and I first got married, we decided to go to a married, student ward. We thought it would be nice because when else would we have the opportunity to be in a ward with so many couples our age and in a similar stage of life? To be honest, we didn't actually like our ward at first and it took a long time for it to "grow" on us. We had a really hard time getting to know people, it felt really clique-ish, and we didn't have active callings for almost a year. Gratefully, I was visiting teaching this AWESOME girl, and she was really outgoing and friendly and had put herself out there to get to know a lot of people in the ward. Well, we got lucky enough to be invited to her home for dinner one evening. After that, she apparently thought we were cool enough to invite Miles and I to a gingerbread decorating party. It was because of that party, we got to know some of our best friends in this ward. Anyway...long story short, I learned my lesson. You have to make a concerted effort to get to know others and can't write people off too early. You might be missing out on some really amazing friends.

Ok...so all that to say...after that time, Miles and I got to know a lot of wonderful people over the 4+ years we were in the BYU 62nd Ward. In April/May of this year, they did some major changes to the wards which I discussed previously
here. And although we don't all go to the same ward anymore, there are still a lot of us in the area. So after talking it over with some other friends, we decided to do a 62nd Ward Reunion.

Sadly, I don't have any pictures of anybody other than Owen from that day. But it was really great getting together with our old friends and feeling that bond we had from our previous ward. It really was an exceptional ward unlike many others I have been in before. (Except maybe the BYU 148th ward from Wymount).


However, I do have some awesome pictures of Owen from our reunion. He, of course, wanted to run around and play. Stupidly, the sprinklers were on and of course he was intrigued. Miles wanted me to watch him and keep him away from them. I told him he would be fine and wouldn't get that wet, as I figured he'd just want to put his hand near the sprinklers. Boy was I wrong...

He ran through them...
He stood in the middle of them...
And splashed in the puddles...
As you can see, he was sopping wet. We basically stripped him down and took him home naked. But hey, at least he had a good time! (And yes...he did happen to get very sick with a terrible fever following this day of playing in the water. But who really knows what's to blame...)
And we had a great time with our friends. We hope to do it again soon!

1 comment:

Olivia said...

It looks like he had fun!