Tuesday, September 13, 2011

9-11 Ten Years Later

I wanted to do something really thought provoking and introspective for my post about 9-11. However, time has gone by and I find that I just want to at least give it recognition if nothing else. I can't believe it has been 10 years. When I watch footage or see newspaper clippings, the feelings come flooding back like it was yesterday.

I was at home, asleep when my phone kept ringing and ringing. My Mom was calling me to wake me up to watch the news. I went to my TV and sat and watched, stunned at what was in front of me. It seemed unreal. Then the second plane hit, right before my eyes. I was pretty much in a daze the rest of the day. I was in school at the time, so I had to get ready and go to my classes. Luckily for me, they were good classes to attend. My first class was a religion class with Brother Bott. I don't remember everything he said, but I do remember that he reassured us and left me with a feeling of peace. My last class was a Relaxation and Meditation class. This was also wonderful to end my day in meditative thought and relaxation.

It was such a tragedy, and the effects are still so far reaching into the way our government has changed, how security is different, and of course in the families who lost loved ones that day. The effect on them will be life-long and deeper than anything I can imagine. I am grateful for the country we live in, even in its imperfect state. We are truly blessed and have so many things afforded to us that the majority of the world does not. It was a terrible, awful, hideous, tragedy. But we have risen stronger and have seen the beauty of strangers helping each other and showing love for someone unknown to them. I am grateful that I still remember that day and the bravery and heroism that was displayed...and the lives that were lost.

I will not forget.

No comments: