Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Changing Lives

My friend, Sachi, came over the other day. We were talking about her job and different work experiences. Hearing some of her stories brought back memories of my own and working with some amazing people. I love being a part of the healing process and seeing real change take place. It's an incredible feeling when it's so clear to you what is going on and you can help the client discover it for themselves. Or, when they surprise you and make huge leaps forward in understanding themselves and what they need to do in order to move ahead. It really is a beautiful thing.

Well, we were talking for a while and I mentioned that I need to get on top of my CEUs and make sure I have them before they are due. She looked at DOPL (Division of Professional Licensing) online and looked up my license to see when it was due to be renewed. She turned to me and said, "Kendra...this is saying it is expired." I said, "What?!" Sure enough, it had expired a year ago. I freaked out because I wasn't sure if I would need to take my test again, or what would be required of me.

After she left, I kind of had a melt down. I had already been feeling as though I was missing work, but this solidified in me a fear I didn't realize I had - a fear that I might never return to work. I mean, I LOVE being a Mom. I feel so incredibly blessed that I get to stay home with Owen every single day. I know there are women (and men) out there who would die for that opportunity, and gladly give up their jobs if they could. So I don't take my situation for granted. And honestly, there are plenty of times people ask me if I miss work, and typically my answer is, "Sometimes." And it's true. I don't yearn to be back in an 8-5 job, dealing with loads of paperwork, bureaucratic rules, difficult clients, dysfunctional families, unchanging parents, and awful, tragic stories of abuse and neglect. However, I do miss empowering weakened clients, teaching eager parents, building trust with broken hearts, and seeing that incredible, life-enduring change in others. I don't want to walk away from that forever.

So I called the DOPL social work board to find out what I need to do to renew my license. She assured me they had sent a notice to my house informing me that my license was due to be renewed. I assured her that I had a fried brain from having given birth only months before and experiencing insanity-producing sleepless nights since then. (I don't think she cared or empathized with me.) She told me that I just needed to pay the fees, keep up on my CEUs and it would be renewed. Hallelujah! And to be honest, it's kind of great because I only have to do 1/2 of my CEUs as they are prorated to the time your license was renewed. Yay!

I'm feeling better now that I have my license again, and I am attending conferences and clinical trainings to enhance my skills and remind me of the years I studied and worked. And while I know that I may not be able to find something part-time that would allow me to not put Owen in daycare, and it may be a while before I work again, I know that this is only a short period of my life. I cherish my time with my son, and I am grateful that I can influence and change one life (the most important life) at this time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. I LOVE being able to stay at home with the kiddos, but there are days that I look back at what I did all day and it was change poopy diapers and do dishes.I guess there is something rewarding in that too, at least I hope so!

jessipants said...

awe kendra. no matter where you are, you'll always be contributing to the world--whether it's with one little man and one big man, or with a case load of clients. i love you! twas wonderful to see you the other day...