Wednesday, October 12, 2011

IUI Attempt #2 + Good News

Fail.

We did an attempt around the end of September. It didn't work. I was more upset than last time. When we went in to do the IUI, we talked with the nurse about what we do if it didn't work. I told her that I was feeling ready to move forward with injections the next time to increase our chances. However, I mentioned that Miles and I would be going to London at the end of the month. She said that with our schedule for London, that it would be better to wait for IUI with injections until the next month. She said that it would be too hard to schedule things and make sure that the time table would work before we left. We decided that the next time I would just take pills to help with ovulation since we would basically be trying on our own.

I think it was because of this that I was more disappointed. It's just hard going month to month and then knowing that one month is essentially a wash. Also, if things don't work out the next couple months, December will likely be a wash as well since we'll be in California for half the month. So it just narrows down the time we have to make strong efforts toward having a baby.

However, that being said, we recently got some good news. Miles' company merged with another company (SSI) back in June. This last week he found out that his insurance would be changing over to the new company's insurance. They also have a high deductible insurance. However, where our deductible before was $6000, it is now only $3000. Also, they cover 60% of the deductible (weird) so we will only ever pay $1200 in a calendar year, as they cover 100% after you meet your deductible. But here's the amazing part...

SSI is based out of Connecticut. This means that the insurance follows Connecticut laws...which cover infertiliy! Miles found out more about the details. Apparently they cover three rounds of IUI and two rounds of IVF!!! That's right, two whole rounds of IVF! It's incredible and so unheard of since we live in Utah and typically would never have access to something like that. We still don't know all the ins and outs of exactly what they cover (doctors, medications, ICSI, etc.) for IVF, but we'll find out once the insurance kicks in in December. We are super excited about this, and I've got to admit, it definitely picked up my spirits after our second failed IUI attempt.

5 comments:

Haley said...

Sad news. I hope you aren't feeling too discouraged. What an emotional roller coaster this must be. I've been wondering about what the latest was. But maybe the possibility of IUI has been a financial blessing because it put off you starting the IVF process until you had infertility coverage...

Haley said...

Ps. Posted from my phone and I'm a little less impressed with you posting from your phone now that I have a 4s. It was impossible on the archaic 3. :)

SweetAbbs said...

So discouraging with another failed attempt but what a blessing for the insurance coverage. That is wonderful news as I know so many are stoppe by infertility due to financial reasons. I'll keep you guys in my prayers. xoxo

Sharalea said...

Glad for the insurance coverage--I'm sorry this is such a difficult ride. I can't imagine...but still you are so strong, happy, and HOPEfull. I will pray for success!!

Courtney Bready said...

I HATE dealing with insurance! What a wonderful blessing that yours will start covering these procedures... Even if you read between the lines and find some hidden costs, it will be so much better than paying for all of it on your own!

Also, I just wanted to thank you for being so open and honest on your blog. I love reading about the real-life things from my friends' lives and not just the "my-life-is-perfect-and-I'm-always-happy" stuff that most people post. It makes me admire and respect you so much more by getting a glimpse into your real life.