Friday, July 20, 2012

Mothers and Women of Today

I'm going to touch on a sensitive subject...because I just have to get it off my chest. About a couple months ago, a spark turned to a flame in the hearts of women across America when Hilary Rosen stated that Ann Romney, as a stay-at-home-mother (SAHM), had never worked a day in her life and therefore was unqualified to speak about the current tolls the economy has faced. SAHMs everywhere cried out that this was hideous, blasphemous, and absolutely wrong. I admit that my first reaction was confusion and disbelief that someone could make such a statement. It should be obvious that rearing children and taking care of a home is not a luxurious job that requires no daily work. It is hard, and can often be physically, emotionally and mentally taxing. However, after watching this flame burn across the media at large and through social networking and blogs, I started to feel frustrated, and even annoyed with the venomous lashes toward Hilary Rosen. Did she say something absurd? Yes. Is that precisely what she meant? No. But beyond that, I was suddenly ashamed of my fellow SAHMs who were suddenly pitting against working women, and even working mothers.


A few people mentioned that true feminism would allow for and accept any woman's choice in how she wants to live her life. That SAHMs should be respected equally for their choices, as those women who choose to work. I appreciated this statement, but was surprised then, at how so many wonderful women were suddenly showing pride in their position as a SAHM while looking down their noses as their female counterparts.

My friend and I got talking about this whole situation. We were both a bit frustrated with the reactions we were seeing and hearing. We both agreed that women should respect one another and show support for each other in whatever roles they are playing. Some women choose to stay home at a significant cost to their livelihood and financial well-beings. Others choose to work because they want to do something outside of the home. Then there are others who have no choice but to work so that they can help their spouses or partners cover their basic needs. And what about the women who don't have any children (whether by choice or inability/infertility), but have chosen to make a substantial career for themselves?

After talking with another friend of mine who is a working mom, it reignited my desire to do this post. We were discussing her home and work situations. She goes to work around 6 each morning and works until 3 PM while her husband stays home with their son. Then they swap the baby in the parking lot while he heads to work from 3 PM to 10 PM. They rarely get to see one another, they're barely making ends meet, and they are both working ALL DAY by being a parent and working full-time outside of their home. She said that she thought she had gotten used to the schedule until her husband recently called her one day from home. He said, "Someone wants to say hi to you," and put their son on the phone. He cooed in the background and she said she just burst into tears. She said it made her want to run home right away and be with her son. Now, being a full-time SAHM can be hard work, but I would readily and easily accept my "job" over dealing with the emotional sadness of not being able to be home with my child(ren).

Like I said, each woman makes choices for themselves. Sometimes they are able to do what they want and other times they are pushed into their positions. But I get so tired of the fodder sent back and forth from women on different sides of the field. Since I initially started this post, I've read two other articles that bring up more anger and hostility toward women, from women. The first was an article by an unmarried, working, woman who has no children. She stated that the working moms of today that are not putting in full-time work are killing feminism and encouraging a war on women.


Here are some unbelievable quotes from the author of the article, Elizabeth Wurtzel:


"I am going to smack the next idiot who tells me that raising her children full time -- by which she really means going to Jivamukti classes and pedicure appointments while the nanny babysits -- is her feminist choice."


"...being a mother isn't really work. Yes, of course, it's something -- actually, it's something almost every woman at some time does, some brilliantly and some brutishly and most in the boring middle of making okay meals and decent kid conversation. But let's face it: It is not a selective position. A job that anyone can have is not a job, it's a part of life, no matter how important people insist it is (all the insisting is itself overcompensation)....something becomes a job when you are paid for it -- and until then, it's just a part of life."


Obviously, this got my blood boiling. Then I read another article discussing the new CEO of Yahoo! and how she is pregnant, but made a statement saying, "My maternity leave will be a few weeks long and I'll work throughout it." Apparently this is just the kind of woman that Ms. Wurtzel would appreciate in the face of the war on feminism. To me, it just sadly encourages companies to expect that kind of behavior from other working moms - minimal to no maternity leave and a quick return to work.


And of course there is the talk that goes on at playgrounds, bookclubs, lunches out with the girls, and whispered between friends, that requires no article. The talk between women and often moms that shows complete and total judgement for how someone parents. I'm not talking about judging someone for beating their child or neglecting them or causing severe emotional, mental or physical distress and abuse. It's the judgement of women making snide remarks of how a child is reared: breastfed vs. bottle-fed; co-sleeping vs. sleeping on their own; cry it out vs. soothe the child; processed foods vs. homemade organic foods; backward facing car seat to age 2 vs. car seat to 20 lbs.; immunizing vs. not immunizing/doing it on a different schedule; homeschool vs. public school...the list goes on and on. And there is no shortage of moms willing to voice their opinion and quickly tell you what is the right way to do it and provide harsh judgements either to your face or whispered behind your back.


I guess what I'm getting at is that there does seem to be a war on women and mothers. Sadly, however, it seems to be coming from within. Who needs powerful, domineering men to tell us we aren't good enough when we do such a good job of it ourselves? And of course when we hear all this negativity from the intelligent, strong, compelling women that we look to for support, why wouldn't we start to believe it's true? Why can't we all support one another? Aren't we all trying to do our best in whatever life circumstance we are in? There are so many amazing women in this world who work in both high-powered and modest jobs; women who stay at home with their children and take care of home and family needs; women who serve and love those around them in whatever forum they can; and women who are just getting by doing all they can to survive. We all have talents, skills, and wonderful characteristics that are unique to each of us. We should be praising each other and recognizing the good rather than looking to tear each other down. I'm tired of the negativity and emotional cuts that go around. Let's all (myself included) work a little harder to be loving, supportive, and build each other up rather than judge and tear each other down.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Well said! Wish all the women around me felt the same as you!

Jan and Carol Van de Wetering Family said...

Well put, Kendra. As a whole, our society is so polarized that sometimes I wonder if we'll ever find peace. Much of it is perpetuated by pride, arrogance, selfishness and insecurities.

Just today I was telling a friend that I had been thinking about how very much I appreciate the privilege that was mine to be a SAHM. I recognized your father's willingness to become educated enough to be able to support his family on his income. While I did occasionally work (for pay) in various jobs within my home, my greatest joy and fulfillment was being a mom. Notwithstanding, I realize that today's circumstances do not always allow for that for everyone, I am grateful for my life's opportunities and VERY grateful for the mothering of my grandchildren by wonderful daughters and DIL. What more could I ask?

Christy Gunnell said...

Amen Kendra! Well written. Imagine if we all just built one another up.

Ry and Heather said...

All I can say is Kendra, I love you! I HAD to work with both of my kids. I put my husband through school and it was just something I had to do. Now that he is graduated and I have the opportunity to stay home - WORK WAS SO MUCH EASIER!! Anyone who says being a mom and homemaker isn't a real job needs to keep that opinion to themselves. I don't get to have a nanny and go to play dates - I'm lucky to shower every other day! :) The thing is, being a mom is the hardest job in the world with no monetary pay - but I wouldn't trade it unless it was absolutely necessary. Having been a working mom I could never judge another woman for her choice, because who knows what her reasoning is for working. I heard a lot of offensive things about me working with 2 kids and paying someone else to "raise" them - it's hard, the majority of working moms don't WANT to be working - but they need to, because they LOVE their children and want to keep a roof over their heads and food in their stomachs...that's a good woman and mom if you ask me! :) anyway - there's my little rant! I agree with you completely :)

Unknown said...

Amen to all of it!

Jenna said...

I'm going to rightfully assume you are referring to my blog post. If so, I would encourage you to read it again because I did not intend to "look down" on mothers who work. In fact, I lauded their accomplishments, praised them and even sympathized with them as I have been a work-outside-the-home mother, too. I pleaded that we all support one another in our decisions. I apologize if I came across as negative or hateful.

I was and still am upset about Rosen's comments because she implied that all stay-at-home moms are just privileged and that's the only reason we can do what we do. She didn't take into account the in-home businesses we sometimes run and the huge financial sacrifices most of us make to be at home. Plainly put, I am not some rich Mormon woman who is riding on the coattails of her husband. I'm not fortunate to be a SAHM -- I'm fortunate to have the gumption and willingness to make it work. And I will defend myself for as long as it takes. The very nature of defense is one of passion and I refuse to censor my opinions more than I already do in my writing.

taryn said...

I agree 100%! I have been wanting to write something similar to this because I have felt that judgment from women from time to time (all the things you mentioned breast v. bottle feeding, SAHM v. working mom, and also one you didn't mention non medicated v. medicated delivery...and between my two children I have been on both sides of each of those issues). The choices we make as mothers and families are personal and its sad that people judge every thing! I believe that if you're making your choices out of love for your child and family you ARE making the right decision whatever it may be. Like Christy said, let's build each other up instead of tearing apart anyone who chooses or has to do things a little differently than us!

Kyle said...

I have to admit that the quote about women who have a nanny for their children and that then spend their days on themselves is not who I would have any interest in partnering with or even associating with. I think there's so much baggage that comes with labels such as stay-at-home-mom and working-mom that by associating ourselves or others with labels makes such huge generalizations that they're not even helpful at all. I know stay at home moms that are great and ones that aren't. I know working mothers that run the same gamut. It is unfortunate that we use such labels and I try my best not to. It doesn't tell me a thing about the person at all. All it does is preset some template of assumptions in my brain which I then have to deconstruct as I get to know them, and that's too much energy wasted for me.

As an aside, I've always been so encouraged by the fact that society is becoming much more accepting of women's choice of familial roles. I hope we move that way for men as well.

Kendra said...

Oh Jenna! I'm sorry you thought I was specifically referring to you. While you were one of the many who was rightly upset by it, your blog did not demean working women or offend me in any way. I thought you did a good job of expressing your opinions and feelings. Sorry if I said something that made you think this was aimed at you. I know you're one of the good ones! :)

mrs. ho said...

yo kendra. first time reading your blog, and it's great. love it. (by the way this is emily ho :)

And I would like to add my two cents to your post--

Women are tearing down women, and we need to cut it out. We live in a patriarchal society and complain about it, but HELLO, it's not entirely the "patriarchs'" fault at this point.

You're totally right, women are eating other women alive, and it's sad and it cripples us.

The end. See you at church :)

Holly said...

Loved this! So well written! I love that you take on touchy subjects--you do it so well. :)

Natasha said...

Well said. I agree that we need to spend less time judging each other and more time encouraging and supporting one another. I think the judgement really comes from a place of fear/insecurity and that's what really needs to be addressed.

Jenna said...

Thanks, Kendra. I'm glad you're not upset with my post! I really do try to be careful not to offend people. It's scary putting your opinions out there sometimes!

Haley said...

you are awesome, Kendra!!

Rachael said...

Reminds me of elder Hollands talk at conference: demeaning others to elevate our own position never works!!

I am so imPressed with this post. I am always trying to justify my choice to stay at home, and most of the time it is to myself. I need to give myself a break