Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Oh Baby! (28 weeks)

First of all...I'm in my third trimester! What?! Yes it's true. I have less than 12 weeks left. It feels like a long time, but also feels so close.


On to the appointment...I've been anxious about this appointment since it was my follow-up ultrasound with the perinatologist to see if my placenta has moved. The very first thing they checked was my placenta in relationship to my cervix. And...placenta previa NO MORE! Yay! The tech said that it was measuring at least 2.3 cm away. Later the doctor again clarified and said that according to the old standards, 2 cm was the minimum to continue with a vaginal delivery. Now, they will sometimes let you do it with it slightly closer, but there would still be concern of bleeding. But as far as I'm concerned, there really is no worry at this point because it's only likely that as time goes on, it will move farther away. I was very pleased with this news.


Both the tech and Dr. Schemmer did complete measurements of baby girl, all her body parts and organs. She was moving around a lot and kicking back on the US wand. It was pretty awesome to see AND feel her give little kicks and hits. Sadly I didn't get any pictures, but I did take a video of the tech doing the US. I should have waited though because there was a freezer in the room that was being loud, so it's hard to hear. But when the doctor came in, it had stopped it's humming.


Anyway, everything looked good with her and she is approximately 3 lb. 3 oz. right now and measuring about a week ahead in the 70th percentile. But I'm pretty sure all that is subjective and who knows how big she'll actually be when she is born. Oh, the tech also said at first she thought baby girl was breech. But then she changed to say she's transverse (her head is high up on my right side, with her bum high on my left side and feet down below), so there is a chance she could easily turn head down. I sure hope so! I'd rather not have to deal with a breech baby now that I don't have to worry about my placenta!


I'm curious to see what my doctor will say at my next appointment in two weeks regarding exercise and what not. It would be nice if I don't have to be totally lazy. Although now with the lack of exercise I've been doing, it'll be interesting to see how much energy I have now that I'm into my third trimester.


Other complaints or MOP as Dr. Schemmer said (Miseries of Pregnancy)...
My carpal tunnel is the biggest. UGH. It is getting worse. I used to only deal with it at night, but now it affects me during the day. All morning my hands feel tight and swollen. It's hard to grasp things or pick up heavy items with one hand. When I make fists, all my joints ache. If I hold my phone up to my ear for longer than a few minutes, I start to get numb and tingly in my hand. Or, even if I just have my hands up to do simple things like eat a bowl of cereal, I sometimes get numb. It's ridiculous really. And even now, I'm having some pain in my hands and wrists. I'm bummed because within only a few weeks it has totally gotten worse. This just makes me worried that by the end of my pregnancy I'll be completely unable to do anything with my hands. :( I guess I won't worry too much right now, and just take it a day at a time.


And this heat? Oh my goodness. I am ready to die. I fear to see our AC bill since I've been pumping it all day and night. I was not meant to be pregnant in the summer. I'll have to plan better next time.


Ok, enough whining. It's wonderful I'm even pregnant to begin with. Baby girl is moving like crazy and I love it. I love feeling boney little parts of her body sticking out and crazy spastic movements. I'm so glad she is healthy and growing as she should.


And I'll end on a funny note and with some pictures of Owen since I don't have any of baby girl.

A few days ago, I was wearing a silky top that kept slipping up to show part of my belly. Owen was pulling on it and said, "It's too tight!" Then he got it down and said, "It work!" Within just a moment, it came up again. He frowned and said, "It's broken." Ha! Me and my huge growing (broken) belly!

Also a couple days ago, after I spent time in a different room attempting to clean and organize, Owen takes me by the hand, says, "Show you...diapers..." and leads me to this disaster. Pretty sure all my efforts to clean have been thwarted. Thanks, bud.

And lastly, hopefully this will not offend anyone.... If you don't want to hear about private parts from the perspective of a 2yo, then stop reading. Owen really likes to copy what I do - put makeup on, put clips in his hair, put lotion on his legs with a leg up on the toilet (as indicated by the pictures)... :)
And while I think he believes we are fairly similar and don't have a lot of differences, I think he's starting to notice we aren't exactly the same. I have taught him the anatomically correct terms for his body parts. He often talks about and refers to his penis when I change his diaper. However, the other day after I got out of the shower, he looked at me, pointed and said, "Penis!" I told him, no...I didn't have one. He then said, "Oh penis! Where are you?" It was awesome.


2 comments:

taryn said...

So happy to hear that baby girl is healthy and that things are okay with the placenta previa. Really sorry to hear about your carpal tunnel. I will pray that it does not continue after pregnancy! I enjoyed reading about your silly goose :) He is a cutie and those stories made me laugh!

Jan and Carol Van de Wetering Family said...

Happy happy on the first entry (placenta previa)

Sorry on the second (carpal tunel)

HA HA HA HA on the last (Oh penis, where are you?)

LOVE that little guy,... and the little girl "a coming."