Monday, November 01, 2010

6 Months

I can't believe it. Owen is half a year old! Time is just flying by and I know he's going to be so big before I realize it.

We just had our check up with the doctor on Monday. Owen's stats are MUCH better than they were at his four-month checkup.

Head: 43.5 cm. (40th percentile)
Length: 26 in. (30th percentile)
Weight: 16 lbs. 4 oz. (30th percentile)

The doctor was really pleased with his progress and said he is doing excellent. We talked a lot about (1) his sleep and (2) eating solids.

Owen's sleep has still been all over the place. He has amazing nights of 10+ hours of sleep and then other nights where he wakes up every couple of hours. He did have back to back colds in October, so part of it could be due to being sick. But generally, he is still all over the place. The doctor said he is old enough and big enough to sleep through the night, so there may be some sleep training up ahead for us!

Owen fell asleep in his bouncy chair one day while I was showering:

The doctor also said that we can go ahead and start him on solids. I am excited for this!

Some other developments in Owen's sixth month of life are... He started "talking" when he fusses and says, "Ma, ma, ba, ma, ma," and other sounds like that. It's so cute and it's almost like he's trying to explain why he's so upset. I love it.

We tried him out in his Bumbo for the first time this month. He likes it ok for short periods of time. But he often either leans forward and tries to eat the Bumbo, or ends up twisted to the side trying to reach things off the counter.


He loves it when we snap our fingers and will give us a big grin whenever we do it.

On October 12th, he rolled from his tummy to his back one time. Then on the 17th, he rolled from his back to tummy, to back, to tummy, etc. about four times in a row. He repeated this a couple days later. However, he hasn't been rolling to his back lately and has reverted to fussing and complaining when he's "stuck" on his tummy.

Something else I love is that he has started reaching up and touching our faces. He does this a lot when we are rocking him to sleep. I love his small, gentle little hands on my mouth, nose, cheek and chin.

He has also started using his Exersaucer and seems to enjoy that for short periods of time.

He sucks on his bottom lip a lot, and sometimes he will stick his tongue out and let it hang there for a minute.

When I put him to bed at night and lay him in his crib, he'll often twist to the side, arch his back and crank his head back. Apparently this is a comfortable position for him.

3 comments:

Abby Wright said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE HIM!!! He is getting big! I was reading the other day about rolling. Noah has rolled both as well but hasn't done it since. What I read said most boys will sit up before they roll because they are more motivated too sit. My dr daid not to worry about his rolling. He will when he wants too. Noah is 6 months on the 16th of next month. We are throwing him a half birthday!

Kaela said...

He is just the cutest little pumpkin head! I want to eat him up - even though I have my own I could eat...he's just too cute! :)

Jan and Carol Van de Wetering Family said...

WOW! note the interesting detail in his eyes! LOVE IT!