Wednesday, January 18, 2012

IVF: Embryos & Fortune Telling

First of all, I forgot to mention in my last post that my doctor actually left the office and went to the store to go buy our doughnuts that he promised us. I couldn't believe how nice he was to do that. Miles said, "If you think how much his time is worth...those are *really* expensive doughnuts!" When he came back with them, I thanked him and he said, "You're welcome. It's a first for me." What a wonderful, sweet, doctor I have!

Ok...on to the report. I got a call from Katie just before 10:30 AM. (Which is when she said she would call by). She told me that of the 13 eggs they retrieved, ALL were mature. They inseminated all of them with ICSI. This is the breakdown:

1 fertilized abnormally (likely bad chromosomes)
2 showed no signs of fertilization
1 broke apart/dissolved

and

9, nuevo, neun, negen, neuf, NINE! fertilized normally

Yay! I am super excited about that (if you can't tell). If I recall correctly from last time, only 7 of 15 fertilized. So 9 of 13 is great! I'd love to have some left over for freezing, but if not...all I want is just one good embryo to do its job!

Katie said we'll plan for a day-5 transfer (Sunday) at 8:30 AM. Otherwise, she'll call me on Friday to confirm our plans or tell us to come in that day for a day-3 transfer if for some reason we're losing too many embryos or whatever the case may be.

For now I'll just sit back, relax, enjoy some time with Owen, and let my body recover while those little embryos grow, grow, grow!

Oh, and I have another cute story to share. This morning, Owen was eating a fortune cookie Miles left on his tray last night. When he was done, I went over to see what his fortune was.

Here is what it said:
(If you can't read it - Soon someone new coming into your life will be a best friend). I can only hope it's one of those embryos that are growing in the lab. :)

6 comments:

Kim said...

Great news little sis!! And what a fortuitous fortune for Owen!! I hope it is true for one of those little embryos that I am praying for. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Annelise said...

Nine eggs! Way to go! Hoping one... or two stick ha ha!

Kelli said...

I love that fortune cookie!!! That's seriously so rad. I'm so excited for you. I need to get knocked up soon so we can bump bellies again!! And so I can puke on you again. That was always the best :)

Carly Andelin said...

AWESOME!!!!

Hanna Caldwell said...

That's great Kendra!! And I love that fortune story as well. Too cute! Also, if you ever need a babysitter, I'm free most of the time, except for Tuesday and Thursday afternoons after 2:30, but other then at I would happy to help!

jessipants said...

yay!!! i love it i love it i love it :) i'll be praying on sunday :) xoxoxox