Tuesday, January 24, 2012

IVF: Frozen

I got a call from the embryologist yesterday. He informed me that the two embryos they were observing seemed to grow well and they ended up freezing them. He said they looked similar to the ones they implanted on Sunday, but they're just a day behind. I asked about the other embryos. Between his Australian accent, the fact that he was taking fast, and using technical explanations, I didn't get a whole lot out of it. Basically, I think he said that a couple were "blasts" (blastocysts) but that they had poor formation and "wouldn't turn into babies." He also said the others weren't good and said something to the effect of "the fragility of creating human life." I mean...totally understandable, right? It's so amazing and incredible that they have this technology and that it *works* already. Not to mention that you can *freeze* life?! It's kind of mind-blowing to think about these little embryos being put on "hold" until we're ready to see if they will make babies for us. Simply amazing.

In other news, I've had more insurance frustrations today. I got a call from RCC billing stating that my insurance denied a claim. WHAT?! Yeah. After the preauth they gave RCC and sent to me in the mail, they are denying claims. So annoying. Miles spent a fair amount of time calling the insurance company dealing with it. On one claim, apparently they thought I had dual coverage (which I don't) and denied it based on that. Miles corrected them and told them to take the other insurance off. And I guess the deal with the medications is that there is a limit (even though I called about this earlier to confirm there was no limit) on how much Bravelle you can get. They said it is 40 vials and I had already received 45. They wanted to have my doctor talk with their doctor to explain why I needed more. Again...very frustrating since I obviously needed and used every bit of medication for my cycle. Obviously every person is different and you never know how they will react to the stimulation medications, so it's absurd for them to pick an arbitrary number and decide that is all you need. Ugh. My nurse, Katie, called and confirmed with me the total I had used (about 52-53 with two partial vials left in the fridge) and said she would call to get it taken care of. Again, I know I shouldn't be upset. I mean, the fact that my insurance is covering this at all is A-MAZING. And I am SO SO appreciative. But it's just frustrating to deal with kinks like this in the middle of it all and worry that there will be bigger problems or that they will not follow through with your coverage. I definitely have a love/hate relationship with insurance companies.

Besides that, I'm feeling good. I think I'm pretty much over my flu and feel stronger than I have in the past few days. I think about those little embryos floating (actually, hopefully *sticking*) inside of me. I'm anxious for the next 9 days to pass without any problems or complications and take a blood test to give me more reassurance. I just have to keep having faith, be patient, and know that whatever the outcome...we will be ok. I have a beautiful little boy that lights my life with so much joy. I have a wonderful, understanding husband. I have a warm, safe home to live in. I have all of my needs (and many of my wants). I am so blessed. And on top of all that...I have two "maybe babies" in the oven and two in the freezer! Life is good. :D

Also...if you have any interest, I found this random article online about a study done comparing births between fresh and frozen embryos. Kind of interesting.

1 comment:

Jan and Carol Van de Wetering Family said...

Such a miracle in the working.
So blessed
So beautiful
AND "frozen" babies are AMAZING!!!
We know!