Monday, March 26, 2012

How NOT to potty train your toddler

Today, I learned how *not* to potty train my toddler.

I was in the bathroom and Owen kept saying, "Paw-ee!" I asked if he wanted to sit on the potty and he said yes. So I thought, "Sure, why not?" and took off his pants and diaper and sat him on the potty. It was so cute I had to take a picture.
Not surprisingly, he didn't actually go. He talked about poo-poo and the "paw-ee" but there was nothing in the toilet. That's ok, I didn't expect anything and I was just letting him get used to it since he was showing an interest. In fact, he had such an interest, that he would cry every time I attempted to get him down and take him out of the bathroom. So we continued the charade for a little while longer.

Well, later, I was in our other bathroom and he again requested to sit on the potty. This time I didn't have time to take off his diaper and everything so I just sat him on the seat and he seemed happy enough with that. I ran out of the room to do something real quick and I heard a noise. I figured he had just hopped down off the potty. Uh...I was wrong...and of course I had to take a picture. :)
Owen wasn't too sure about it, and eventually started to fuss. I got a towel and immediately took him to the bath. I figured I messed up any hope of future potty training, but sure enough, later that night he was asking to sit on the potty again. I think before this goes any further though, we need to invest in a small potty or a toilet ring.

7 comments:

Annelise said...

HA ha ha to funny! the only interest Sophia shows in the potty is she wants to play with the plunger!

Kelli said...

The fact that Felix is not speaking at all makes me actually feel relieved cause I have no pressure to start potty training! My word verification has "kend" in it.

Jan and Carol Van de Wetering Family said...

This is the funniest post I've seen in a long time.
I sat at the computer just cracking up.
Austin came to see.
Kimmie came to see.
and I'm STILL laughing.
LOVE that little boy!!!!!!

Kim said...

Too cute! Austin went potty for the first time a whole 2 years prior to the time that he was fully potty trained, so don't stop buying stock in Huggies. And we still buy night time pull ups. Are you interested in a cute little pink potty seat? :)

Janie said...

Hilarious! I love the toilet rings. Good luck ;)

Natasha said...

Haha that's hilarious!! Great pictures. I never used a toilet ring or toddler potty with either of my boys and they both started going on the potty around 22 months. I guess once they fall in once they get the hang of it and realize they need to hold themselves up. I bet he won't let that happen again. Haha.

taryn said...

Too funny! We use the toilet ring, although the word "use" should not be understood to mean she actually goes in the potty. She has gone in the potty 3 times total, but I think we'll get a little more serious here soon.

Thank you for you nice comment on my blog about being friends! When I read that I totally agreed. Brady and I honestly didn't make any "best" friends while we were in that ward and the reason is really our own fault. We've talked about it because I wondered how in 2 1/2 years we didn't become super close to anyone. It makes you feel like you must be really weird since everyone else seems to make great friends. But we do realize the choice was ours and because we were so busy we never made the effort. We enjoyed the ward and I love and respect so many people I met there, but we just never took any of our acquaintances to the closer friendship level. We felt like we didn't have the time (we were also seriously sleep deprived) to go to ward activities or invite people over, etc and I know you get what you put into the ward. I feel a little sad about it because there were so many wonderful people in that ward that I feel like I could have been great friends with, including you!