Monday, March 19, 2012

Oh Baby! (10 weeks)

I have been so MIA in the blogging world. I guess pregnancy (along with some apathy) will do that to you. But I thought I should make an effort since I'm not feeling super tired or sick, and push past my laziness to write about my first doctor's appointment with my regular doctor and other pregnancy related things.

I went in last week when I was exactly 10 weeks. I got to hear the heartbeat again which is always so great and a nice reassurance. Really, it wasn't super eventful. Good blood pressure, good heartbeat, got a blood draw and urine sample taken. That was about it. Mostly I was just excited to go in and feel like I'm moving forward on this journey. Oh, the one exciting thing was that I asked when I could find out the sex of the baby. She said 15 weeks. I was really excited because I thought it was later than that. She said when I go to make the appointment they will tell me I have to be between 16-18, but that it's fine at 15. YAY! Only five (well, four from now) weeks until I get to find out if we are having a boy or girl. :)

Now for a quick log of pregnancy symptoms and experiences. I really can't complain. Ok, I *can* complain, but I shouldn't. I often want to, but then I realize that there are so many people out there that have it 10x and 100x worse than I do. Starting at about 5 weeks, I had to go to the bathroom a LOT at night. Sometimes up to four times per night. This was both exhausting (having interrupted sleep) and annoying. It's decreased some, but I'm usually up at least once per night. And the most annoying part is that lately, if I wake up after 2 AM, I'm usually guaranteed to stay awake for at least 1-2 hours. I don't know where this insomnia is coming from, but it can happily leave. I've also had some itchiness like I did last time. Miles would also complain about this since I ask him for a back scratch every night.

As far as nausea, it didn't kick in until about 8 weeks. I was surprised when it hadn't started and thought that maybe I'd just skip by it this time. Then it kicked in full force. I was pretty much a blob laying on the couch for a while. The first day (and worst day) I decided to be mom of the year and let Owen watch far too much TV so I could rest on the couch. However, it didn't work out so hot for me. Once he realized I was there, he wanted to lay next to me. So I had to lay uncomfortably to accomodate him. But the worst part was that his sweet cheerio breath just made me want to vomit. Then he finally moved away and I started to doze off. Suddenly, I was startled awake by the ever so wonderful feeling of a remote control being chucked at my head. After getting over this rude awakening, I dozed off again, only to be abruptly awoken by Owen sitting on my head and shortly thereafter kneeing me in the stomach. Ah...the joys of being sick with a toddler in the house.

Ok, but really, I can't complain. I just wanted to remember that miserable (yet amusing) day. For the most part, the last 3+ weeks have been ok. I've definitely had some nausea that comes on and off, but it doesn't usually last all day, and I'm not throwing up. At all. So that's good. I have tried taking two different medications. The first (Phenergan) just made me super tired. The other (Zofran) helped some, but gives me a killer headache. Boo. One thing that sucks is that for most women, they feel nauseous, but force themselves to eat and then they feel better. No. For me, I feel ok and then I eat (cause I'm starving) and then I feel nauseous. It doesn't matter if I eat small or big or healthy or crappy. I almost always feel sick after I eat. Again...it doesn't last forever, and at least I can keep food down. So I'll stop complaining.

That's about it. I'm really glad I made some freezer meals in advance of getting pregnant. It's been super nice to just pull something out for dinner and not have to make much (or anything) to go with it. I wish I'd done more. I'll have to do it in preparation for the baby coming too.

Oh, one other thing. They say you gain weight faster/get bigger with your second pregnancy. I was hoping that didn't have to be true. Sadly, it is. I don't feel like I'm eating more than usual, but sadly have already put on a few lbs. With Owen I didn't start showing until around 16 weeks, and didn't gain any weight at all for at least the first trimester. This one is a different story. I definitely feel "thick." It's ok. I honestly hate it when women complain about being fat when they're pregnant (read: pet peeve). Hello...you're carrying a baby and creating a life! Get over it! So yeah...maybe I'll be bigger this time around, but I vow to still feel beautiful. :)

Sorry this is a boring back to blogging post. Again, mostly just wanted to get some stuff recorded and stop being so lazy. :) Maybe I'll try working on some other posts too...maybe.

3 comments:

Rachael said...

Yep, yep, yep to everything you said. I have gained so much more weight and faster (like 7 lbs the first trimester!), and Richard broke the cardinal rule of husbandom by agreeing that I did look bigger than last time (at least my tummy). but its all for a good cause. The toddler in the house is definitely the x factor though. It adds another level when you can't just do what feels good, you have to think about someone else's welfare all day too! Good luck.

Annelise said...

What kind of freezer meals did you make? Were they yummy? I really ant to make some for after the baby. e should get together and make a bunch, the kids could entertain each other, and we could try to get the meals done!

Tanyon & Callaghan said...

I didn't wear maternity clothes until 6 months with Tanyon, but it was definitely different with #2. By the time the first trimester was over, I was excited I could tell people, since I didn't think I could hide it any longer. You will "pop" much faster, but you may have the same weight gain overall.