Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Happy Belated Birthday Daddy!


Since yesterday was your birthday, Dad, I thought I'd take a moment to list some of the reasons I love you most!

Dad, you are a wonderful man, husband and father. I have gained and learned so much from you throughout the years. I attended a Relief Society meeting where they talked about love languages. They said there are three main types: Verbal (words of affirmation and quality time), Task (Gifts and Acts of Service) and Physical Touch. One of the questions asked which love language I was given most growing up. I had a hard time deciding because I received all three of them from both you and Mom. Thank you for giving completely of yourself to us.


I have seen the love you have and show toward Mom. I love that you never fail to get flowers for Mom for birthdays, anniversaries or other special occasions and that you always include a long love letter with each event. It is because of this, that I have high expectations of my husband in showing similar acts of love toward me! But you have also been amazing at writing letters to each of us throughout the years. I cherish the hand-written cards and letters that come in the mail from you. Although it's a little archaic, as you prefer hand writing rather than using the computer, I love it. And it just seems to have more meaning when I get a hand-written letter in the mail.


You are so generous and constantly make sure that each of us is taken care of. Whether that is by paying for meals, plane tickets, gas, car repairs, school tuition, or to help bring a baby into this world...you have always given generously of your hard earned money. Thank your for your incredibly giving attitude. We often are undeserving.

You have always taken an interest in what we were doing, whether that was music, school, work, and especially sports! You have got to be the biggest sports fanatic ever. You encouraged me in all of my sports activities and helped me find interest in softball, soccer, swimming, and volleyball. You never missed a game if you could help it and drove thousands of miles over the years for the games all of us kids played in. I could always hear you cheering us on and an occasionally yelling at refs. ;) You even found happiness in watching me play measly intramural games at BYU once I had finished my competitive sports days. You have always been my number one fan! Thank you for attending my games, practices and helping me to get better by practicing with me on the weekends and evenings.

You have done so much for our past generations in searching out and completing our genealogy. I remember fondly, when you took me to the Genealogy Library in Salt Lake City a number of years back and taught me about searching for our ancestors. I also remember going to the library with you as a child, and helping you to search through many, many, MANY rolls of microfiche. You taught me the importance of doing the work and encouraged me to do it as well. I have always seen the love you have for seeking out our family history.


I love the memories I have of the time we spent reading together. It started out by reading the Funnies with me each Sunday. We would take turns reading for the characters and go through all of the comic strips. Eventually we moved on to reading "The Work and the Glory" together. You were ever so patient with me and my busy high school schedule in finding times to read together. And eventually, when I became so busy, you kindly asked if you could continue on without me...which was ok with me, but I still cherish those times together.

You are funny! I can always count on you to give a silly face, tell a funny story or act like a total goof ball. Case in point:


You are an animal lover! You taught me to love all kinds of animals and would take me to the pet shop to look at and hold the different animals there. You allowed us to get pets, knowing full well that you would likely be the caretaker in the end. You were so loving and kind to our pets through their final days. I'll never forget the letter you sent telling me when you had to put Sydney to sleep. I bawled my eyes out, but was so grateful that he had you to hold and stroke him as he passed away.

You have a strong testimony of the gospel and have always shared that with us freely. I have never doubted your love of God, the Savior, or the gospel. You are devoted to your callings and serve others willingly. You have showed kindness to those in need and given of your time and energy even when it was inconvenient or undesirable. You are obedient, honest, and loyal.

But what I think I love the very most is your sensitive and tender heart. I love that you aren't afraid to show your feelings and openly shed tears in sad or touching movies, when you are moved spiritually in church, or when you hear beautiful music. I have always loved seeing this soft side to you and I'm grateful that you showed me what it meant to be a real man.


I love you so much and I hope that you know I am so grateful that I have been blessed to have you as my father! I am so glad you were born on this day! Happy Birthday, Daddy!

No comments: