Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Human Beds and Impressions

For some crazy reason, there are times when Owen just refuses to sleep. I don't understand it. If I could take a nice long nap, I most certainly would. He just gets so exhausted, but fights it so hard. I'm not sure if he has nightmares of his journey through the birth canal, or he's afraid he'll sleep through a feeding, or what...but he is a fighter when it comes to naps.

...but not always. Sometimes he conks out. Typically this happens when someone is patient enough with him to hold and rock him to sleep. He seems to prefer sleeping on SOMEONE rather than on SOMETHING. Here are some of the individuals who have become "human beds":

Daddy:


Mommy:


Grandma V:


Grandpa W:

Auntie Megan:


Great Uncle Jon:


Bridget:


And that's just those I have pictures of. I know there are many others (Grandma W, Auntie Kimmie, Auntie Kerry, Christy Gunnell, and Diana Hardy to name a few) that have become "human beds."

After having these naps on "human beds" sometimes Owen leaves some impressions behind. Following a long nap on my chest, when Owen was pealed back Miles and I discovered this lovely impression on his face:
(If you look closely, you can see the cute little imprints of his finger nails from having pressed his hand against his face)


And another recent nap left me with an impression of his ear on my arm:


And while there are times I wish he would nap in his crib or the swing, I also cherish these moments because I know they won't last forever. And there's nothing sweeter than a sleeping baby in your arms!

8 comments:

Rachael said...

so true! I am so excited to meet him in person in just a little while!

Kelli said...

That picture of him with the marks on his face looks like something DCFS should check out. But don't worry, I've already emailed them the link.

Jean said...

Kendra, you nailed it about cherishing these moments!! There are times that I desperately miss having a little nugget to fall asleep on my chest like that.

Little Owen is so adorable!! I love the little ear imprint, haha!

Sharalea said...

Sweetness! He's a cuddler for SURE. Lucky!! J would fall asleep in our arms but not as much as Owen--what a doll you have!!

Megs said...

I wish I lived closed so I could be a human bed more often. I hope the baby blessing went well!

Ashley Preston said...

I just discovered your blog and I'm so glad!!! I miss you and I love seeing pictures of your handsome little guy! I scrolled down through quite a few and he is so darn cute! He's got the greatest big eyes!

Janie said...

He's so cute. My kids always just slept on us too. They are so used to being in your belly where they can hear a heart beat and feel warm. On someone is the closet replacement.

Christy Gunnell said...

I love being Owen's human bed :)