Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Sewing Goddesses

I am blessed to have two sewing goddesses in my life. I was raised by one, and married into the other. My Mom was a seamstress for many, many years and did bridal alterations for a bridal store. Besides that, she has made numerous dresses, bedding items, purses, and pretty much anything else you can think of for me throughout my life. So it was no big surprise that she wanted to make a blessing gown for Owen. Had I known what it would take for her to make it, I might have told her NO WAY! But I am so grateful for her hours of hard work and the labor of love she gave to Owen's special day. Here are some pictures of his blessing gown. Unfortunately they do not do it justice.
My Mom made a slip to go beneath the gown:


The full gown:



The lace had to be sewn on and the material cut out from behind so you could see through it. I can only imagine how many hours it took to place and sew the lace just right so that it would have those perfect lines and angles.

Close up of the bottom of the gown. The hem was hand stiched, as were the sleeves.



While my Mom was out here for the blessing, she also made Owen's bedding for his nursery. She's still working on the curtains for the room, but I will post pictures when the room is complete.

The other sewing goddess in my life is my mother-in-law, Margaret. Little did I know that she also has a wonderful talent for creating amazing things. For Christmas she told us she would make us a new cover for our cuddle bag since our old one ripped and we have been making due with the under cover. She worked her little tooshie off and got it done for us. I imagine had she known the work it would take, she might have opted to buy one for a fraction more than the cost of the materials. But that's the thing with handmade items, they are worth far more than you could ever sell them for. Luckily I appreciate both my mothers for their hard work and service to us. Especially since I don't have a crafty sewing bone in my body!


Here are some blurry action shots of me jumping into the cuddle bag:



1 comment:

Jean said...

WOW. They are AAAAAWESOME!!!