Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Big Three-Oh

A couple weeks before my birthday, Miles surprised me with an early gift. He called me from work and told me he had something for me when he got home.
Me: "What is it?"
Miles: "You'll devour it."
Me: "Is it something I can actually have?" (I went off sweets for a month until my birthday)
Miles: "Yep. Any guesses?"
Me: "Is it The Hunger Games?"
Miles: "Nope. Any more guesses?"
Me: "No. The only things I can think of that I would devour would be sweets or The Hunger Games."
When he got home he surprised me with this:


So I was right. I yelled at him for lying and telling me my guess was wrong, but he said, "Well it wouldn't have been very fun if you had guessed it right!" Silly boy. I was still ecstatic anyway and especially surprised since we had gone to Costco to buy the trilogy and they told us they were all sold out in the state of Utah. Miles said he went to Costco that day with some guys at work and there were just three box sets sitting there, so he snagged one. Yay for me!

He again surprised me by bringing home these beautiful flowers after work the night before my birthday.

The morning of my birthday we went and took family photos. We paid for bridals in our wedding photography package, but I never had them taken. So our wedding photographer, Michael Lloyd, told us that we could just cash in later with some family photos. So after Owen was born I called him up and basically said, uh...three years later that I wanted to cash in on those family photos. So we recently set it up for the morning of the 28th. Those pictures are to come once he finishes the editing. I'm really excited for them. :) After the photo shoot, Miles told me that he didn't need to return to work because he had taken the day off to spend it with me and Owen! That was again, a nice surprise. We stopped by Jamba Juice and got my favorite smoothie (Strawberry Dreamin) before going home to feed Owen. Afterward we went to In and Out for lunch. We shared a burger, fries and shake.


Miles attempting to feed Owen a fry (but not really):

Me about to enjoy our burger:
The rest of the day was spent running some errands, shopping around and spending time together. We were going to go out to dinner at Bombay House, but both of us were pretty full from lunch so we decided not to. Mitchell and Marci (my brother and sister-in-laws) stopped by to say hello. We also rented 500 days of Summer to watch (the chick flick Miles let me pick out for my birthday) but didn't end up watching it cause I was too tired. Sigh. I really am getting old.

The next day my visiting teachers came over and Adri Nye brought me these absolutely DELICIOUS cupcakes from Cocoa Bean. The red velvet was especially to die for.

All in all it was a pretty chill birthday, but it was good. I didn't necessarily want to make a huge deal out of it. Not that I'm afraid or ashamed of turning 30. I just didn't need a big celebration. Mostly I just wanted to spend time with Miles and Owen. In all reality, I am feeling pretty good about being 30. For the most part I don't feel old, unless I'm around 18/19 year olds or young 20s that really just remind me of how mature I feel. ;) Also, my sisters are 13 and 15 years older than me, so I've always had them to look at as examples of what is to come. They most certainly do not seem old to me, so I've never thought of 30, 40, or now as my sister is approaching 50, as old. I am also feeling good about life in general and where I am at in this stage of my life. So as far as I'm concerned, in the words of Jennifer Garner in 13 Going on 30, I feel like I'm "thirty, flirty and thriving!"

2 comments:

Jean said...

AHH!! What a fantastic birthday. Happy day to you!!!

Jan and Carol Van de Wetering Family said...

I'm not sure Kimmie will want you to say she's "approaching 50." I'm sure she's just thinking she barely past 45 (in January) I'm glad you feel 50 isn't too old and hope you can come to realize that your crazymuffyhead isn't old either. Just wise.