Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Modesty

My sister-in-law, Megan, is doing a project for her hale at BYU Hawaii about how modesty helps to prepare for temple marriage. Here are my thoughts on the subject...

Making sure I had a temple marriage was always very important to me. I did not want anything to get in the way of my that. So in order to reach that goal, I had to make sure that I was temple worthy, along with my future spouse. Modesty is an easy place to start toward that goal. I found that the more modest I was in my thoughts, words and deeds, I was able to have the Spirit with me to guide me in making good choices for myself and those I dated. By being modest, I also helped myself and my fiance to remain chaste by not inviting temptation into our relationship. The world shows such a different perspective on what it means to have a "loving" relationship. But by respecting one another and saving ourselves for marriage, we showed the greatest love possible to each other. I am so grateful that I was able to be sealed in the temple to my husband for all eternity. I am also grateful that our baby boy is sealed to us as well, and that our family is forever. Nothing is worth having those blessings taken away from us.



4 comments:

Abby Wright said...

Modesty was always easy for me because God blessed me with this body and it would never look good in hoocy clothes:)

Jelllo said...

When I was at BYU-Idaho when Elder Bednar was president, he said that those who have trouble being modest are not ready to take on the covenants you make in the temple. Wow. That has always stuck with me.
And, I didn't know you had a blog! Yay!!!

Janie said...

When I used to dress immodestly, I didn't realize how much I didn't have the spirit. It is a scary thing to have Heavenly Father's Spirit withdraw from you. Nothing is worth that.

For some reason, your blog is not updating on my list so I didn't realize you had been blogging aagin! So in response to your other blog, I go through the scrubby feel all the time! :) I have to remind myself every few months that I want my husband to think I'm attractive :) And I feel better when I get up and get ready.

Jan and Carol Van de Wetering Family said...

I have spoken of the prom dress incident on occasion with a gentle laugh. Kendra, you were always such a good example to your friends in school. You were such an "easy" teenager and I know you made it through those years because of your faith, your testimony, your desire to choose the right, and the innate goodness of your soul. Modesty comprises so many areas as you mentioned, thoughts, deeds, dress, aspirations, actions, etc. I'm proud of who you have been and the woman/wife/mother you are becoming.