Monday, December 12, 2011

IVF: Schedule and Consents

I talked with my nurse last week. She gave me my IVF schedule and consent forms to sign. The consent forms are about 20 pages covering all possibilities. Of course there are waivers and things stating you understand the possible risks involved. You sign off on the IVF procedures and everything it involves. You acknowledge that twins or multiples are a possibility (eek! or yay! ?). You determine if you want ICSI to be done and what that means. You determine if you want genetic testing done (or waive it) on you and your spouse. You sign consents for freezing and storing any extra embryos for future use. And my favorite part - you determine what will be done with your extra embryos in the case of death, disability, or divorce. The reason I like this, is because there is an option available to "transfer them to RCC for anonymous donation to a needful married couple." I like that they aren't just disposed of and that someone else could benefit from that potential life. :)

As for the schedule, it goes something like this:

Start birth control on day 3.
Dec 23: Start Lupron injections (small shots in my stomach)
Jan 1: Take last active birth control pill today
Jan 5: Blood draw and Ultrasound (US)
Jan 6: Start stimulation meds (shots in my hip) & decrease Lupron
Jan 8: Blood draw and US
Jan 10: Blood draw and US
Jan 12: Blood draw and US
Jan 13: Possible blood draw and US
Jan 14: Target trigger HCG shot
Jan 15: Do home pregnancy test (HCG shot will make my body show positive pregnancy, even though it's not)
Jan 16: Target day for egg retrieval and sperm collection
Jan 18: Start Crinone once daily each morning & baby aspirin daily (help with production of progesterone and to keep pregnancy)
Jan 19: Target day for embryo transfer
Feb 2: Pregnancy test
Feb 13: First pregnancy ultrasound
Oct 8: Expected date of delivery

Whew! However, all of that is subject to change. Appointments are never set in stone, as they may decide based on their monitoring that you should come in sooner, or later. Also, the embryo transfer day depends on how they are looking and if you want to do a Day 3 or Day 5 transfer. It's all very subjective and variable. However...that is what we are potentially looking at for the next month. I am getting really excited about it, but of course apprehensive. It's never a guarantee, as I have seen through family and friends. When I told my sister-in-law we were starting IVF, she said, "So this means a baby for sure, right?" Boy do I wish! The chances are obviously better than anything else we've done so far (55% as compared to 15%), but it's still not 100%. It's ok. We just have to go in with faith, hope and a positive attitude, and know that no matter the outcome, we will be ok.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Brings back lots of memories. I think it is interesting that you are told to take a baby aspirin daily and I will tell you why later. I wish I had been told that when I was trying, but maybe it is a new procedure. Glad to have had what I did when I did. Austin is the BEST and thanks again :)

Haley said...

I hope, I hope, I hope!! I looked at the time line to see when I can meet the baby... Wish I was there and could be there in October!

Jan and Carol Van de Wetering Family said...

Good grief, they sure "suck your blood" a lot! Happily, you'll be here for part of the time to enjoy other things and take your mind off what is to come.

We're a family if IVF'ers and Kim took all the brunts but with your help, all turned out well. Let's pray this one goes as successfully as Owen. Couldn't be better!

Sending grammy & grampy hugggggggs.

Tanyon & Callaghan said...

Good Luck! Love,
Paula

Kelli said...

Sweetness! My expected due date is November 22. As I should be ovulating on our cruise to Mexico. I'll have to give the kid a Mexican name, since Felix got an Italian name. Luckily the next boy name I have picked out could be considered Spanish :) Can't wait to bump bellies again! Oh yeah, and throw up in front of you a lot while you complain about your one week of morning sickness.