Wednesday, February 01, 2012

21 Months

Owen is growing and developing so well. He constantly amazes me with the things he knows I was unaware he had learned. His speech is exploding.


He is such a polite boy. While we were in CA for Christmas, he learned to say "May me" (excuse me). I first noticed when he was walking in between a plant and a chair and as he was scooting around them, he kept saying, "May me, may me, may me." It was so cute. He's even polite to inanimate objects. He also says "Bess you" (bless you) when someone sneezes, still says please and thank you (all.the.time.) and has now added "Sigh-ee" (sorry) to the list (due to time-outs requiring him to apologize for his behavior). I really love how polite he is and I hope it continues.

Some other things he is saying: Cais (cars - think like the name Kai), ee-you (love you), nigh-nigh (night, night), peep (sleep - he does this with the sign when he wants to go to sleep or we tell him it's time for sleep), side (slide), and ping (swing).

Some of his words are morphing. For example: He used to say buh-buh-boo for balloon. Now he says bah-woo. He has also started putting words together, like "Hi Mama," "Bye Dada," "No thank you," and my favorite - "Thank you, Mama." He also says, "Where?" while throwing his arms up to his sides like he's asking and looking and then follows with, "There it is!" Other favorite sayings are "I did it!" or "I got it!"

When he sees someone he wants to talk to or wants them to acknowledge him, he will say, "Hiiii!" or "Here yeh, yeh." (Not sure what the last one is about).


He's getting kind of particular about things. He always requests me to pull down his pant legs if they ride up when I'm putting him in his car seat or a swing. (Pretty sure he gets that OCD from me. I hate that feeling too). He also doesn't like when his hands are too messy and will say, "Heyns!" to let me know he wants me to clean them off.

He also doesn't like it when there is a hair on his tray or hand or blanket (yes, I shed a lot) and will hold it up saying, "Hayee" to alert me to take care of it.


He counts 1, 2, 3 or says "Rey-ee" (ready), grunt, "go!" when he is about to go down a slide, jump off of something, or wants you to swing him while holding his hand, etc.

Owen loves going through and emptying out all the contents of my purse.


He loves to pull things around, especially our suitcases if one of us has just come back from a trip.

I made up a really silly song that I sing when he does a poo poo. It's simple and the words are, "You did a poo poo! You did a stinky!" When I first did it, he followed by saying, "poo poo!" and "sinky!" after each line. Then when I repeated it, he said, "Ewwwwww!" It was hilarious and I laugh every time. He also likes to let me know when he did a poo poo (although sometimes will quickly try to deny it). Some times I think he's just trying to warn me though cause he'll say, "Poo poo!" and I ask if he did one and check and he didn't. Within 10 min, he will have done one. This isn't always accurate. And no, I'm not ready (nor is Owen, as he still likes to splash in and throw things into the toilet water) for potty training.


He still loves taking baths and has discovered the joy of bubbles.


Following bath time, when I put lotion and a diaper on him, he likes for me to cover him up in his towel and lay on the changing table. Sometimes he'll pretend to go to sleep.


Once he's ready to get down, he likes to run around with his towel hanging off his head.

Owen loves to play in his crib. He will jump around or hide behind his blankets. Sometimes in the morning, he will have found an extra pacifier (if he cries in the middle of the night and I can't find the one he lost, I just grab another) and shoves them both in his mouth. I love it. He's such a goon!

He loves to pretend to go to sleep. He'll lay down, cover himself up and say, "Nigh, nigh!"

If he has a hoodie on, he has to have the hood up and will immediately say, "Head!" to tell me to put it on.

Owen likes to walk around with a blanket on his head. Sometimes he can see where he is going, other times he can't. I love watching my little ghost maneuver through the house.

He still loves ice and is more than obsessed with mint. He used to wake up and say, "Ee! Ee!" (eat, eat) while putting his fist to his mouth. Now he wakes up and says, "Min! Min!" (mint, mint). Ridiculous. But seriously, he'll eat anything minty - Tic Tacs, Gum (if he can get his hands on it), Altoids, Junior Mints, Mint ice cream, Floss...ANYTHING.

He also loves to eat peanut butter and will bring me the PB and a spoon so he can eat it straight from the jar. Here he is using the peanut butter to his advantage:


His first spaghetti experience. I think it was a hit.


And his first green smoothie in a bowl rather than a cup.


He can get out of his PJs by himself (as seen in the nakey-snake post). Luckily it's not too often I find him naked in his bed.


He loves to empty out all his blocks and put the plastic block bag over his head and walk around with it on.


This was my poor attempt at getting him dressed for church one morning. Two legs in one leg hole. Oops!

He is getting to be a dare devil and sometimes it worries me. He can go down stairs without holding onto the railing, if he feels confident about it or they aren't too high. He loves to climb, climb, climb and will climb up on chairs or tables or the back of the couch. He also has no problem stepping (or semi-jumping) off of couches or other high places. Eek! Usually he'll either catch himself and stay standing, or tumble to the ground and start laughing. At least he thinks it's funny and is smart enough not to jump from too high. He can also go down slides by himself.


Here he has emptied one of the shelves in our hall closet and climbed inside the cubby hole:

Sometimes he walks backwards, or just likes to spin in circles and say "Whee!" He also enjoys being spun on the computer chair.

Owen is getting more independent and often doesn't want my offered help with things and will quickly tell me, "NO!" So I usually let him try on his own, and if he struggles for too long, either he will ask for help or I'll offer it again.

He's showing some signs of imaginative play. He likes to feed his stuffed animals or toys (car, etc).

When I put him to bed, I say, "Nigh, nigh. I love you," and he replies with, "Nigh, nigh. Eee you." I love it. It makes me melt.

The end...


2 comments:

NatalieW said...

I love it! Great pics and what a cutie :)

Jan and Carol Van de Wetering Family said...

What a darling little boy!!!
LOVE the blog; it's perfect for anyone who wants to know how Owen is progressing and it totally reveals his adorable personality.
As for the green smoothie... It didn't appear to be in the bowl or the cup.... it seems it was in th NOSE! HaHaHa

Love that little guy.