Monday, September 03, 2012

HypnoBirthing Part III & IV

I'm a bit behind in posting about this, and I'm pretty sure I won't remember everything we discussed. This post basically covers three classes. There were supposed to be five classes, but since we were the only couple (minus our very last class), we covered material so fast that we combined the last three into two classes.

Here are the basics that were covered: Nutrition, Writing your Birth Plan, HypnoBirthing vs. Active Management of Labor, Labor walk-through, Birth Breathing, Skin to skin bonding, Newborn procedures, and birth videos.

Some of the highlights for me, were discussing the birth plan, birth breathing, and watching the videos. The book offers a lot of suggestions on what you may or may not want to write in your birth plan. Your birth plan is a list of your requests for how you are received and treated during your labor - by hospital personel, doctors, and those who may attend the birth. I thought this was good because it gave me a lot of ideas of what I might want to request.

For instance:
- Keep exams to check progress (dilation, etc.) to a minimum. (This can introduce infection, and is often very uncomfortable and not productive in moving the process along - especially if it causes frustration when you realize you are not as far as you thought/wished you were.)
- Do not offer medication unless it is requested.
- Avoid discussion, reference to, or questions about pain levels.
- Allow natural birthing instincts to facilitate the descent of the baby, as much as possible, with mother-directed breathing down until crowning takes place.
- To birth in an atmosphere of gentle encouragement during the final birthing phase without coaching - calm, low tones, free of "pushing" prompts.
Etc...

Then there are things I already knew I would want:
- Delay cord clamping and cutting until after pulsation has ceased.
- Immediate skin-to-skin contact.
- Father to stay with mother and/or baby at all times.
Etc...

The last three I did with Owen. I thought I'd be grossed out by the immediate skin-to-skin without having him washed first, but I was no where near grossed out and I'm so glad I did it. We still need to go through all the options and write out our finalized birth plan.

Birth breathing is also important as it's a little different that the other breathing techniques, and will require some visualization. Again, we talked about how the baby does not have to be pushed out, but how you can work with your body to direct your breath and force downward in a "J" motion (as the birth canal the baby goes through is shaped like a "J"). And of course, listen to your body and what it tells you to do and how you should do it. I liked that Cara said not to be afraid of pushing if that is what you feel like doing, and to just listen to your body. I think a lot of times doctors/nurses will say, "Oh! You're at a 10...let's start pushing." Often, your body still might not be ready for that, and you could end up pushing for hours. (Luckily, Owen was a quick delivery for me.) So I think it's about working with your body rather than against it, or forcing it to do something it is not ready for.

And lastly, the birth videos. I really love watching births. I've been to three live births (not counting my own), and even the videos of births totally awe and amaze me. I LOVE them. So I was happy to watch each of the videos we saw not only showing the miracle of life, but also women who so gracefully and beautifully delivery their babies in a natural, unmedicated way. The last one we watched had me in tears. And then (funny enough), my friend emailed the same video to me saying it was of her friend and she thought I might like it. Here it is...in case you want to watch. I just did again. And cried. Again. Miles always mocks me because he thinks it's a little too "epic" if you will. But I don't care. I like it, and I hope my baby's birth is just as beautiful and done with as much poise.

There you have it. I am definitely omitting a lot of information, but that's because 1) it's not all fresh in my head from the classes and 2) I covered the basics. I would highly recommend taking the classes. I still haven't finished the book (shame on me), but I've read a lot and skimmed through most of it. I'm trying to practice my breathing and relaxation techniques. I still need to be better about doing both on a daily basis. I'm definitely getting excited for the delivery. I know I'll be anxiously awaiting as the time gets closer. Only five more weeks! Squee!

2 comments:

Sharalea said...

I'm so excited for you!! You're going to rock this birth!!

Holly said...

So, I just watched that video, and I totally got more emotional over it than I thought I would. What an amazing experience it is to birth a child. I'm so excited for you!