Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Oh Baby! (38 weeks)

I didn't get a chance to write this up before the baby came, but I wanted to make a note of the appointment for my records. When Dr. Savage checked me, I was about 90% effaced and 1 cm dilated. Not much progress, but a tiny bit. However, the most significant thing was that she told me I needed to have the baby by my due date. I asked her why and she said she was going to be out of town for fall break for a week starting the day after my due date. I was shocked. When I was pregnant with Owen, she had told me she would be around because it was the school year and she has six kids in school. I figured it would be the same with Elsie. Who's heard of fall break?! What is this nonsense?! She told me that if I didn't have the baby by 39 weeks, we could strip my membranes and if nothing happened within a few days, she would be willing to induce me a day or two early. I wasn't really excited about this option. I kind of wanted to let my body do it's own thing so that I could proceed with a natural delivery without pushing my body into it. I decided I would consider stripping my membranes, but I would definitely forgo induction. It kind of made me sad, but I decided I wouldn't worry about it and if she wasn't available, I was ok with the other doctor in the office and happy that I had been to a couple of appointments with her. I guess all of my thoughts about baby girl coming early in addition to Dr. Savage's ultimatum paid off, as she arrived 10 days early! It's funny because when I was in labor with Owen, I knew that Dr. Savage had her daughter's recital to attend and I didn't want her to miss it. My body kicked into gear and delivered him early enough for her to still make it. This time, I went into labor before she left on vacation. I guess she's destined to deliver my babies. :)

No comments: