Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Good deeds from a loving husband

Lately I have been EXHAUSTED. Even though Owen is getting more hours of sleep on average each night, I cannot seem to get enough sleep and find myself needing at least one nap during the day. Today was one of those days. Owen did not get as much sleep as he typically does, and with "the blowout," I was up longer than normal for my middle of the night feeding. I also had a dentist appointment this morning, which meant I had to get up and going for the day earlier than I normally do. SO...needless to say, I was especially tired when I came home from the dentist. I was hoping for one of Owen's 2 and 1/2 hour naps that he sometimes does, but instead found myself caring for a fussy baby who has been fighting his naps on more recent occasions. Lately, Owen gets so tired, but fights it and we end up rocking him to sleep and holding him through his naps, as he typically wakes up if we try to set him down. So I was struggling with this and sent a text message to Miles at work saying, "Ugh...so tired and no sleeping baby." Around 5:30 PM, as I was sitting in the rocking chair gently rubbing Owen's back as he slept in my arms, I heard the door open. It was music to my ears. FINALLY! Relief was here! Little did I know that my husband would answer my unsaid prayers on his own. This was our conversation:

Miles: "Why don't you give Owen to me so you can go rest."
Me: "He's stirring. He'll wake up. And he probably will want to eat again soon."
Miles: "When does he need to eat?"
Me: "Anytime from now to the next hour."
Miles: "Well, give him to me and you go rest. I'll get you when he needs to eat."
Me: "He's going to wake up." (sounding unsure and feeling as though it's a pointless effort)
Miles: "Either give him to me, or I'll take him from you."
I look at him questioningly.
Miles: "I feel like it's leaning toward the latter."
I give him a face that says, "oh please."
Miles: "I feel like you're being kind of selfish with him." (Obviously trying to get me to give him up.)
Me: "Ok, fine."

Thirty minutes later Miles came in to get me. It wasn't the two and a half hour nap I was looking for, but boy was it blissful, uninterrupted sleep. Then, Miles followed up with another good deed. After feeding Owen, he fell asleep in my arms. Miles made dinner for us and brought it to me while I cradled our sleeping baby. Tonight, I am feeling like I have the best husband EVER! They may have been small acts, but they felt like the world to me! Thanks, babe, I love you!

2 comments:

Jean said...

What a champ!!!! Isn't it funny that even a half-hour nap is like manna from heaven when you have a newborn? Haha!

Kaela Cusack said...

awwwwwww he's a keeper! that's true love :) so glad you are both so good to each other.