Saturday, October 23, 2010

Grad School Reunions

Recently I've been able to enjoy reuniting with some wonderful women from my MSW graduate school days. The first reunion was set up by Haley. She invited some of the graduates who are still in the area. There were only a few of us that showed up, but it was really great to catch up on everyone's lives. While we were in grad school our small class of 40 students became really close. We spent so much time together both in class and outside of class. We shared or lives with one another and experienced so much together (marriages, divorces, births of babies, deaths of loved ones, etc). It was really hard for me to leave these wonderful people and experiences behind when graduation came. They helped me to become the therapist and person I am today.

Left to right: Haley Molyneux, Jenny Infanger, Katie Johnson, me, Adrienne Blackwell

Shortly after our MSW reunion, Jessica Salmon came into town. She was sad she missed getting together with the other grads. I was SUPER excited to see her. Jess is one of my best friends and she moved back to Canada literally hours after Owen was born. I was SO sad that she left. I met Jess in grad school and after my divorce, we moved in together. After we graduated, we also had the chance to work together in the Crisis Department at Wasatch Mental Health (WMH). She was an amazing roommate and coworker, but an even better friend. We too, have been through a lot. I really don't have words to describe how wonderful she is. She is such an example of strength, beauty and courage. I love her carefree spirit and the love she has for nature and mankind. Jess is pure of heart and spirit. She always sees the good in others and seeks to bring out their inner beauty. She has always been an inspiration to me and I have felt that I have been a better person for knowing her. She brought (and continues to bring) peace to my heart. I love his girl and miss her to pieces!

Also while she was here, Jess did an amazing Gratitude Retreat with her friend Teri Thompson. It was night of women, friendship, yoga, energy healing, strength, and peace. I can't even describe how rejuvenating it was to my soul. I'm grateful to her for blessing us all with her talents and love.



Haley and I became friends in grad school, but I think working together in Youth Outpatient at WMH really solidified our relationship. During that time we supported each other through difficult clients and frustrating work environments. We could always find solace in taking a break in our emotionally draining days with each other. But more importantly, we bonded over our desire to have children and struggles with infertility. We rejoiced with one another in pregnancy. I was always impressed with Haley's confidence and unwavering knowledge of who she is. She is such a good example to me of a person who strives to do what is right. She is a wonderful mother and I love that I can go to her for support and help and that she never questions my lack of confidence in my abilities. Haley is so self-assured and is my rock. I know that she is constant in mind, heart, and spirit. I am so glad that she lives close by and that we get to experience the journey of motherhood together!


And while I'm at it, let's add another reunion to the list. In August, Stacey Shaw stopped by to see me before she headed out to her Doctorate program in New York City. I was so glad she came by. Stacey and I actually met in our undergraduate BSW program. We were acquaintances at the time, but didn't really bond until grad school. I think the fact that we knew each other from our undergrad helped to build our friendship later on. Stacey and I both went through divorces within a couple years of each other. She was such a big support to me during mine and helped me get through days at school when I didn't want to keep going. She also helped me to build back my self-confidence and demand more for myself in who I dated. In our second year we got an internship together in the WATCH (homeless) program at WMH. Stacey has always impressed me with her ability to balance work and play. She has always been so dedicated to the jobs she has and in doing research that means something. But she also knows how to play and make time for herself. She is a world traveler and cares for people everywhere. She gives of herself and never questions why or complains. I have always wished I could be more like her. I'm hopeful that I will get to see her again during holiday visits. Hers is a friendship I would never want to lose.


After writing about these women, I realized that I have been so blessed. I have gotten to know so many strong and beautiful women. I am lucky that they are willing to call me FRIEND.

1 comment:

Jan and Carol Van de Wetering Family said...

What a beautiful commentary, Kendra. Indeed, you have surrounded yourself with beautiful, gifted and righteous women. Realize, my child, that they have chosen to call you friend because you are likewise beautiful, gifted and righteous.

If I hadn't been blessed with you as my daughter, I would have chosen you as my friend. And now, that we are adults, I consider you thusly. I love you!