Sunday, October 10, 2010

Kiana's blessing

After having dinner with our friends in Lehi, we drove on to Tooele to spend the night and Grandma and Grandpa Wright's home for a baby blessing the next day. Miles and I stayed up for a few hours chatting with Grandma and Grandpa and drooling over the cinnamon rolls Grandma had made. Grandma is hilarious because whenever you go to her house, she will list all of the contents of her fridge and cupboards and let you know you are welcome to any of it. However, as we drooled over the fresh, baked goods, she told us they were stricktly OFF LIMITS until the next day when we went to Jon and Becca's house for the brunch before the blessing. I told Grandma I wanted the center of the coffee cake/"sunburst."
(This was kind of a joke due to my previous encounter with the treat a couple weeks earlier during conference weekend. Miles's parents were in town and all of us were at Grandma and Grandpa's. I stole part of the center and Miles's Mom demanded to know who had done such a thing. Apparently the rule is that you can't eat the center until all the side pieces are gone. Little did I know that I was violating such a sacred tradition. Luckily I was let off the hook due to ignorance.)
However, let me tell you how amazing Grandma is. The next day, while all the food was layed out, she snuck over and cut out the center piece so it would be ready for me to snag right away. She's a doll! And boy was it worth the sneaking and devious planning! Mmm mmm good!

Grandma with the goods:


Becca with here baby Kiana:


Cousin Cambry with Owen:


Uncle Mike with Owen. Uncle Mike and Aunt Colleen always immediately reach for Owen when we see them. They are so great with him and he adores spending time with them.


Grandma and Miles:


After the baby blessing we went back over to Grandma and Grandpa's to pack up and spend a little bit of time with them before leaving. Again, it was great to have that quality time with them. You never know how long you will have your grandparents around. This is especially apparent to me, as both sets of my grandparents are gone. I feel so blessed to have married into Miles's family and enjoy the benefit of two sets of grandparents again. I feel so close to them, as though they were my own. I love them so much and we cherish the time we have with them. We were discussing some of this and mentioned that we really need to take advantage of our time together and hear stories from their lives and record them for our posterity. Both Grandma and Grandpa took some time to share some personal, funny, and touching stories from their lives. We recorded Grandpa telling one story and told them we will return to do this some more. It was a great way to end our weekend together.

1 comment:

Jan and Carol Van de Wetering Family said...

I'm jealous. Wish you lived close enough to just jot over to our house.