Friday, October 29, 2010

Impromptu Trip to California

I wrote this a while ago, but I was waiting for some photos from my sister. Since I still haven't gotten them, I might as well post it.

Owen and I recently went out to California for a few days. My Mom called me at the beginning of the month and asked if I wanted to come out to sing with her for a musical number in church. I thought it was a fairly odd request. She then said, "I've already bought Kerry's ticket!" So I thought, "Sure...why not?" But really, we all know that the musical number was just a guise for getting her daughters out to California and seeing her youngest grandchild. I'm not complaining though. I'll take it! :) She told us to keep it a surprise from our Dad though. It was fun to see his flabbergasted reaction to our arrival.

While we were there, Owen got a LOT of love from everyone...

Grammy:

Grandpa: (This is what we came home to after going out to practice our song for the evening. Owen was supposed to be asleep, but he woke up and Grandpa couldn't get him back to sleep. So Owen sat and watched the Giants' game with him. Little stinker).

Auntie Kerry:


But especially from his cousin, Austin:


I think that Austin hugged and kissed "poppy baby" no less than 200 times in the five days we were there. If he ever heard Owen fussing or crying he said, "Oh, um...he's sad. I need to give him a hug." He spent time playing with him on the floor and said, "I'm keeping an eye on him." He "read" to him from magazines and books and showed him pictures. It was very adorable.

Austin is a very funny little boy. One day while we were there, we were all sitting around talking at the table. Austin said, "I'm a bee. Kerry, you're a spider. And Kendra, we're being bugs...you're a cockroach!" Of course we all busted up laughing. As his Mama says, he's such a goofy child. :)

Here's Owen playing with a toy Grammy had for him while we were there. He got a little frustrated when he tried to roll over and got stuck on the side:



It was a nice trip and we're glad we went out. Owen actually slept really well (minus the first night which was awful) while we were there and he was a stellar traveler as well. We had a really good time and it was great for everyone to see Owen again before he gets too big. My Dad said numerous times how adorable he thinks Owen is and kept referring to him as the "Gerber baby." I think he was smitten. :) We're happy to come any time Mom wants to fly us out!

1 comment:

Jan and Carol Van de Wetering Family said...

Wish we could have you out at least once a month. It was a wonderful time. Thanks for coming, for singing, for bringing Owen, for Mile's sharing you, for all your love.