Thursday, December 06, 2012

Spoke too soon...

I thought I was being conservative about not saying anything about building our home until we'd signed the initial contract, but I guess I was wrong and I spoke too soon. I mentioned that there was a standing water issue with the lot we chose, but that the agent wrote an addendum stating the builder would cover any problems that show up as a result of the natural spring that had been diverted. Two weeks later...she writes to tell us that the builder is unwilling to sign the contract and wants us to sign a new addendum. The new addendum states that we acknowledge the geologist's report and release the builder of any liability due to the natural spring. HA! It's as though our request suddenly brought to light that we might have a problem in the future and they wanted to make sure they would not be held liable. It's the complete *opposite* of what we requested.

Miles spoke with the agent and she said we had three options:
1) Sign the new addendum and move forward
2) Move to a different (smaller) lot
3) Be done and go our separate ways

I think after all of this, Miles and I are feeling as though we just want to go our separate ways. We don't want to move to that lot not knowing what could happen in years to come and I don't want a smaller lot. So that's that.

It's really disappointing for me. I am SO ready to move and I feel like everywhere we turn, there's always something blocking our way. Maybe we're just not looking where we should or making the right decision for our family. I don't know. But the prospect of starting over looking at homes and/or looking to build with someone else, feels daunting. I know we'll find something eventually...but when? And I'm not sure I'll want Elsie to be sleeping in our room in another six months. Oh well...our time will come and we'll make do until then.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm sorry things didn't work out :( Waiting like that, and not knowing what even the right thing to do is, can be so frustrating. Sometimes I just want someone to tell me how long I'm supposed to wait - if I knew, then I think I could handle it. Not knowing can be a real trial.

Holly said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry!! You guys have been going through this process so long already--I can only imagine your disappointment & frustration. I'm so sorry! Hopefully a clear answer on what you should do will come soon.

Kaela Cusack said...

More time to save!!! It's worth waiting for the right one :)

Jelllo said...

Ugh. I hate that feeling of just wanting out, but everything falling through. We just bought a house and will be moving into it at the end of December. And I'm not nearly as excited as I thought I'd be. Probably because it's not our dream house, although it's nice and big, which is nice. (We did it to be able to take advantage of the low interest rates and to pay much less money in our mortgage than we currently pay renting.) Growing up isn't fun, and so feel free to take your time 'til you find what's right. No reason to rush.

You could always get a motorhome and camp til you found the right house. That'd be adventurous.