Monday, February 18, 2013

6th

According to the world wide web, for your 6th anniversary the traditional gift to give is either candy or iron and the modern gift is wood. I was a little unenthused about it until I found this site. There it says, "Candy represents the sweetness in your marriage, iron represents good luck and strength, and wood represents a solid relationship." I thought, I can get on board with that. 

Although I've got to admit I'm looking forward to our 10th (diamonds). ;) I'm sure any of these would do just fine. Or more specifically, this:


Photo via Tiffany & Co.



But alas, I have to pay my dues first. And let's be honest, I'm guessing that ring is not on the shopping list.

Back to reality...This year, Miles was "in charge" of anniversary plans. He decided to forego celebrations on our actual anniversary since it was a Sunday, and push it off to the next weekend (hoping to also avoid the Valentine's craze from the previous weekend). So Sunday morning, we all went to church together. Elsie looked adorable in her little fur-cuffed, winter dress.

For dinner, we decided to do homemade pizzas. We made a pepperoni pizza with olives on half, and a chicken, tomato, pesto pizza. Owen was very excited to help out. He loves helping in the kitchen these days. Both pizzas turned out quite delicious.

After dinner, I gave Miles his presents. I bought him a decorative, wooden, "treasure box" for his desk and filled it with Dove dark chocolate hearts and a chocolate mousse Ritter Sport. I also framed his favorite pictures of Owen and Elsie for his desk/office. I didn't quite get all of the 6th anniversary gifts, but I think it was close enough.

Miles gave me a beautiful love letter with two coupons good for whatever I want. I tested the bounds of this gift and asked if that could be to make me dinner, do the dishes, put Owen to bed, watch a chick flick and give me a back massage. He said, "If that's the package deal you want, then you get it." Hmm...I may have to get creative with these "package deals!"

Our marriage isn't perfect. I don't know of any relationship that is. What's important is that we are working on it. And even when it's hard, there is no giving up. We are in this together. Forever. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

There aren't any pictures of the two of us on our anniversary, but that's ok. I think we can all agree we look much better 6 years ago. So I'll end with some pictures from that wonderful day that forever changed my life for the better.




3 comments:

Tyler said...

I forget our anniversaries are so close together! Loving the package gift, stretch it ha ha! Elsie's V-day pics are to cute!! I haven't attempted to let Sophia bake with me yet, you are brave. I just let her decorate.

Tyler said...

That was Annelise Not Tyler ha ha

jessipants said...

beautiful girl! i love reading your writing