Sunday, June 03, 2012

Money Isn't Everything

Miles has been pretty unhappy in his job lately. He likes what he does for the most part (mobile development), but has been feeling underappreciated and as though his opinion and suggestions for improvement are not heard. Not to mention, his work wants to act as though they are in the forefront of technological development in their area, but doesn't put any money or resources toward Miles' department and in moving forward on projects. Miles is the only one working on mobile and is pretty isolated. Not to mention, his boss works out of the main office in Connecticut. He said it's really hard not to have someone rooting for him and cheering him on. Anyway, he's kind of kept his eye out for other work options and has recently had the opportunity to interview with two different companies, both of which who gave him immediate offers. The first was with a company in SLC working for a guy he worked with for almost a year and a half. He got a really good offer making more than 25% than his current salary. However, after Miles really thought about it, he decided that he didn't want to take it because he didn't want to move into a different area of computer development. He knew it was more money, but not what he really wants to do for the long run in his career.


The second job was with a company that started up about a year ago. They work specifically on iPad development. He was offered a position as their CIO, but would be making less and have NO benefits. This makes it less desirable as we would have to pay for our baby's delivery (and any other expenses if there continue to be complications with my pregnancy) and would not have the option of a future *free* IVF cycle. However, he gets really excited when he talks about this job and what it has to offer him for his career. He talked with them and are hoping that the position will still be available in a few months after the baby comes and we feel more comfortable about changing our insurance plan around.


Anyway, it's just got me thinking. Just on the surface, the first job would be great. Decent benefits, a higher salary, and working with someone he knows and who is familiar with his work. While the second one is not as enticing with the salary and benefits, but offers good career building experience. Obviously I'd love to have that extra money in our pockets, but first of all, I really want Miles to be happy in what he does and find joy in his work. Even if he's not feeling that currently, he has the chance to make that happen in the future by sticking with what he loves. And secondly, while more money is always nice, we are doing just fine. Honestly, we are more than fine. I feel incredibly blessed with where we are at and that we don't have any financial worries. And while Miles is incredibly busy (he has about 5 side projects going on right now on top of his 40 hr work week) he seems to be happy in his endeavors. I would always rather have a husband who is happy in his work than one who is wealthy in his work (although the two together would be nice as well). ;) I trust Miles to make the right choices for our family, and I know that he always has our best interest in mind. The right job at the right time will come along if we are patient.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh my goodness - it's so nice to read something like this! Not that I'm saying being in the situation is good, but I'm in the exact same boat. I am struggling so much with liking my job, I'm getting no support in my own office, I feel like all of my ideas are thrown out to the side, and my boss is gone like 4 times a week so he may as well be working in Connecticut. I haven't been as lucky in the new job search (no other interviews yet), but I'm trying). It's weird, though, to be grateful for this position. It took me a while to realize to be grateful for it and that the Lord had blessed us with it in a time when we really needed it and it was a direct answer to our prayers. Being grateful has made it a lot more bearable.

Good luck with Miles and his search for other positions! And I totally agree - happy is better (although, like you said, happy and wealthy never hurts, either, haha)

Rachael said...

Money truly isn't everything-- its just part of the things! I have told Richard over and over that I want him to be happy in his work. Living with a grumpy man just isn't fun and it affects his fathering and husbanding when he isn't happy at work. And money will come as well as success with work in the future. I just have to be patient and not try to have everything right now all at once. The skills we are learning now about patience and budgeting will be invaluable to both our families. Besides, I don't respect women who get what they want all at once!