Friday, June 01, 2012

Retraction

I feel the need to write a retraction to my ridiculous, emotionally-charged, rant I wrote a few days ago. I reread it yesterday and kind of wanted to smack myself for being so over the top. Granted, that's really how I felt in the moment, but I probably should have waited to cool off before totally going off.

I am still on bed rest - no change there. However, my attitude and perspective have changed greatly. I attribute this to a number of things - mostly, getting some extra help that I needed. I feel like the absolute biggest blessing has been to have someone take Owen for a few hours each morning. He has always been so excited to leave the house, go outside, and/or go for a ride. And whenever her comes home, he is such a happy boy. It makes me feel so good to see his joy at being able to get out of the house, enjoy the sunshine and play with others.

Another contributing factor is the willingness of so many to help in any way they can. My visiting teaching companion told the RS president about me being on bed rest on Sunday. On Tuesday (when I found out it was extended), the compassionate service leader called to see what they could do to help. I had to learn a lesson in humility and call back to say, "Yes. I do need help." They have taken over getting someone to watch Owen in the morning each day next week. Then there are plenty of friends who have called, texted, FB'd, etc to see what they can do. Friends and family have made meals, helped clean, and kept me company. It has really meant a lot to me to feel the love of so many people as they have given me so much service.

I also spoke with my doctor's office yesterday to get some clarification on my bed rest. I asked whether or not I could still attend family and friend gatherings if I just sat there. They told me to limit any activity to 10-15 minutes and then try to lay down/rest for at least 2 hours before getting up to do more. That was nice to hear on multiple levels. First of all, now I can at least attend the two baby showers I was supposed to be helping to throw this next week (again, thankful for friends taking over where needed to put together these showers), as well as a baby blessing and my book club. Secondly, it means if I keep it to light housework that is not straining, I can spend a few minutes emptying the dishwasher or doing a load of laundry or sweeping the floor. I don't have to sit by as my house goes to pot. ;)

I've also found some good (read: trashy dramas) TV shows to watch, and I'm finishing up an amazing book - The Book Thief. Having some entertainment makes my slow days feel better.

And of course, the best part is that I have not had any bleeding or spotting for the past 3 and 1/2 days. Baby girl kicks and moves around every day. Hopefully this is all good news and maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to get off bed rest in a little over a week. But if not, I've also come to find out that it's not the worst thing in the world (obviously) and I am incredibly blessed with so many wonderful people in my life.

So thank you for the prayers, love, and continued support. And thank you for indulging my absurd rant. And if possible, feel free to forget it ever happened. ;)

4 comments:

Camy Katherman said...

Oh The Book Thief...So great. Not trashy at all! I had to read it with a box of tissues though.

Anyway, glad things are looking better. I don't think you need to apologize for having a bad day and needing to vent.

Kim said...

AND...don't forget that we Californians are descending on Utah and its inhabitants next week! Yippee, I can't wait to see you, and Owen, and Miles, and Kerry, and Matt, and Hadley, and Elena, and Uncle Jean, and Aunt Virginia and the rest of the clan...Love you forever!

Jan and Carol Van de Wetering Family said...

THE POT OF GOLD AT THE END OF THE RAINBOW:

Everyone needs to be on the receiving end early in their life in such a way as you have. I learned that at the age of 26, with two small little girls, and a life threatening illness. I discovered the emotions, appreciation, gratitude and humility that are part of being truly loved in such a way. I became connected with so many who cared and reached out.

I learned the blessings of giving as I recognize there were no strings attached only pure Charity. I have come to love serving with eager joy and compassion. Those qualities were heightened by understanding the circle.

There are always rainbows once we go through the storm. May you be blessed to partake and learn from the treasures in pot of gold.

Love you so much, Suie.... Momma

Rachel said...

Ooo, I'll have to read the Book Thief. I need a new good book to read. You'll have to tell me more about it! Glad that things are going good and that you've got some time to get up and move around.