Thursday, August 02, 2012

Proud

I just have to give a shout out to my amazing, wonderful, HARD-WORKING husband. Miles has been trying to get some side work going for a quite a while. He has been able to pick up a job here and there, but sometimes they don't always go as planned and it's hard to keep a constant stream of work. Ideally, he'd like to have enough work that he can work for himself one day. (I would love this, as it would mean we would be able to live anywhere we want and have more freedom in our schedules. But that's a topic for another day.) Anyway, over the past 3-6 months, he's been in contact with a lot of different people and companies about doing IOS (Mac, iPhone, iPad) development. This is the area he really enjoys working in and would like to do exclusively, if possible. Well, a number of those contacts have turned into actual client accounts with high paying customers. However, a lot of work has all come to a head at the same time.

The chaos mostly began back in June. His first crazy week was when he went to meet with a company in Arizona for a week. However, he didn't want to take time off from his regular job so he would put in hours before and after the "work day" to account for his time at work. Well...it has only gotten more insane since then. He's been working on an app for the Salt Lake Parade of Homes. This means that it has a very specific deadline. For the last month, Miles has been getting up around 5:30 AM and going to sleep around 12:00 AM everyday - working the entire time with the occasional break for food. (Sometimes eating doesn't even happen on a regular basis.) With 90 hour work weeks, Owen has been lucky to see him at all and I'm lucky if I get to talk to him for 10 minutes before he goes to sleep. And while it has been really hard to have him gone so much (Sundays are the only day Owen and I get him to ourselves with *almost* no distractions from work), and I feel like I'm a single mom these days, I am also incredibly proud of him.

It's hard for me to be mad or upset because it's not as though he's off playing and wants to be away from us. I know he is so tired and exhausted. I can see it in his body language (it's rarely more than 2 min before he's asleep once his head hits the pillow) and in his eyes (literally - they are bloodshot and watery and he said that sometimes he wakes up with blurred vision). I know he's anticipating when things will calm down just as much as I am. But again, I am so impressed with his dedication to building his business and providing for our family. I am excited to see what the future holds for him in all his endeavors. I just hope that it will be a little more spread out with longer, extended deadlines so we don't have to repeat the 80-100 hour work weeks! Either way...I'm proud of you, babe! Good job on all of the work you are doing! :)

2 comments:

deveney said...

Way to go miles!

Jan and Carol Van de Wetering Family said...

Congrats, Miles (& Kendra) WAY TO GO!! Thanks for working so hard to support your family!
What a nice post of appreciation and recognition
I look forward to downloading and checking out the app.
Tell me which home in the parade you're going to get as payment for the app development. LOL