Thursday, August 16, 2012

To train or not to train...

...that is the question. Owen just finished up his lunch and took off his clothes to be "nay nay." He then said, "I want to go potty." So we walked into the bathroom and he took off his diaper. I told him to sit on the potty. Before he moved, he peed a tiny bit on the floor. I quickly swept him up and put him on the potty where he finished. That makes three times of going in the potty in the past 18 hours. So do I potty train him or not? I'd asked my doctor and she said boys usually train around 2 1/2 - 3 1/2. But I know that's not always true. Maybe he could be ready for it. And he seems really excited when he goes and says he wants to do more. But I also worry that with the baby coming in under 2 months that there could easily be some regression once she comes along and he adjusts to that. And yet, I'd like to do it when he's interested and excited. But maybe he still will be later? All you other mothers out there...what do you think?

4 comments:

Clarabelle said...

I say go for it! Just don't push it a lot and if he's not ready you'll know soon enough. My daughter potty trained a few months after turning two. I've heard boys are generally much later though. PS I used and loved the book "Toilet Train in Less Than a Day." It's old and has some funny stuff (like keep candy in your apron as prizes. Apron?!) but worked really well when my girl was ready. You can find it for super cheap on Amazon. I've had several friends also have success using the book. Good luck eiher way!

Cara said...

Lincoln started acting interested just after he was 2. He woke up one morning and refused wear a diaper. He did really good using the potty for a couple days but then started having at least 2 accidents a day. After a couple weeks I decided to bag it. Then a few months later he started showing interest again. So we started all over. A week of staying home, being naked all day, and he was doing good. Then after 3 weeks of doing really good he started having several accidents a day. I pushed through it for a couple weeks because people told me it's bad to stop, once you start you just have to stick with it. But I ended up giving up once again and plan to try again when he is three. I have heard from other moms that three (with boys) is just the magic number and something just clicks. I think if you wanted to try you could, but if it's just causing more stress for you, I wouldn't push it. I have also heard that the biggest mistake people make is switching between diapers and underwear. Stay home the first week and then just do away with diapers except at night time. If you go out just put a towel in the car seat, bring several pairs of clothes, and get a special car potty. Another thing to think about is if it will be harder to have him potty trained than to just change diapers. If he can't pull his pants down by himself or get on the potty by himself you actually are making more workforce yourself. But if his diapers are staying dry for several hours, and he can go by himself, your golden.

Holly Petty said...

I don't have much advice on potty training but he is WAY more ready than Lilia. I've heard that one big step is being able to pull the pants up and down on their own...if he can do that and go on the potty he might just be ready!!

taryn said...

I've tried to comment on this several times using my phone, but for some reason it would never let me. You've probably already decided and dont need more input, but i'll give you my 2 cents anyway :) I say go ahead and try and if he has too many accidents and you don't want to deal with the cleaning and stress of it then just stop and wait a few more months. That is what we did with Olivia (although it was more like a few weeks rather than months that we waited) and the second time around she did great. She is almost three though.